Gain Fastball Speed and control, please help

How can I get better speed and control of my fastball?

Both require efficient, repeatable mechanics. Start working there…

A-check, let me tell you about something I used to do when I was a little snip, about twelve years old, and what I continued to do years afterward.
I would get a catcher—I could always find one—and either he would mark off with chalk a pitcher’s rubber and a home plate at the requisite distance (60’6"), or if we could get to an unused playing field I would take the mound and he would set up behind the plate and assume the position. We then would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, in which he would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head ( :lol:), and I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. It was more than just a drill; it was a terrific workout and a lot of fun, and what a satisfying feeling it was to hear that resounding “thwack” every time the ball hit the pocket of the mitt. I did this with all my pitches, at varying speeds and including the crossfire move which I had picked up, and from time to time I would have someone stand in the batter’s box so I could really zero in on the strike zone, hitting the corners, what not. I can’t think of a better way to work on one’s control and sharpen it.
As for increasing the speed of your fast ball—well, I didn’t have a fast b all to speak of, but I can tell you one thing—in order to get the necessary momentum going you have to get your whole body into the act. In my young days I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers. I noticed that the Yankees’ Big Three rotation—Raschi, Reynolds and Lopat—were all doing the same thing; they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, and that was how they were generating the power behind their pitches. I saw exactly how they were doing this, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. As I practiced this essential aspect of good mechanics I discovered that not only was I getting more power behind my pitches, I was also throwing harder—and faster—with less effort. It seemed that my arm and shoulder were jujst going along for the ride, and what I was doing was taking a lot of pressure off said arm and shoulder so that my release of the ball was effortless. And I never got a sore arm or shoulder or anything else. I even ended up with an 81-MPH four-seam fast ball, a surprise because I was a confirmed snake-jazzer!
So there you have a start on both these objectives. 8)