Fundementally sound mechanics-how does it work

Hey, I’m new on this board and I am a 14 year old freshman looking to try out for the baseball team. I’ve had prior experience, but my main focus is pitching. I love the art of pitching and I think it really is a fun logical game to play with the batter. ALso, when you strike a guy out, it really makes you feel good insde.

But with all that aside, I really need some advice as someone who is new to pitching and wants to succeed. First of which is, when you talk about mechanics, what does it mean. What are the differences between control, mechanics, command, ect.

Next, I would love to know what should be the range of speed in which I should be able to throw. In addition, if you had to choose one major league pitcher that could help any person in pitching mechanics, who would you choose.

And finally, I always hear about with mechanics you have to rotate you hips and stuff, but I live in an area where I really can’t get a personal trainer. If you guys have any resources or could tell me exactly what is the correct way which I should pitch the baseball, please let me know.

And one more thing, I’ve been trying to find answers to this question. At what point to I throw the baseball so I can stay “on top of it” and how do I twist my hips so that the pitch is explosive?

I really want to succeed in pitching and I look foward to talking to you guys in the offseason for advice. Hope you could answer my questions!
Thanks

Welcome young Yankee fan.
This site is full of answers to all of those questions, take some time and read through the postings, I am not what people would term a mechanics expert, I’m a guy who has coached kids for years and love baseball and helping kids in this sport. I can though, make some recommendations and maybe get you pointed in the right direction

when you talk about mechanics, what does it mean. What are the differences between control, mechanics, command, ect.
[i]
[/i]
Mechanics are the essential body movements that make up the act of pitching a ball, with good mechs a person can access good control, command is the ability to take this contol to a higher level with a variety of pitches (Being able to hit a spot consistantly with a specific pitch).
Range of speeds are listed through the different postings I encourage you to read them.
You will, if you look into the posting that I have done, see that I chose one ml pitcher to style all of my advice after, that would be Greg Maddux, (I jokingly call myself the “Unofficial Headmaster of the Unautherized School of Maddux”), why? Well he has pitched for 20 years in the major leagues without an arm injury, he is as average in size and shape as a human being can be (To me this proves that you don’t have to be “special” in body type to be one of the greatest pitches ever), he exemplifies what it means when people tell you that preparation and planning are crucial to success (He knows the strenghts and weaknesses of every player he faces, but still studies them more), he is super in the other aspects of the game 15 gold gloves, does everything at the plate that he’s asked…shoot I even saw him steal a base at the end of last year, he’s a fierce competitor (All those Cy Youngs, 300 wins 3000 k’s etc.) and to top it off he is a WINNER!!
You don’t at this point need a “personal trainer”, but if you have any colleges in your area they tend to have clinics and camps, see if you can get to one.
Then get yourself filmed and post it, I assure you that many of the regular posters onn this site will be able to advise you as to how to improve your mechanics.
Good Luck, have fun ask questions.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Welcome young Yankee fan.
This site is full of answers to all of those questions, take some time and read through the postings, I am not what people would term a mechanics expert, I’m a guy who has coached kids for years and love baseball and helping kids in this sport. I can though, make some recommendations and maybe get you pointed in the right direction

when you talk about mechanics, what does it mean. What are the differences between control, mechanics, command, ect.
[i]
[/i]
Mechanics are the essential body movements that make up the act of pitching a ball, with good mechs a person can access good control, command is the ability to take this contol to a higher level with a variety of pitches (Being able to hit a spot consistantly with a specific pitch).
Range of speeds are listed through the different postings I encourage you to read them.
You will, if you look into the posting that I have done, see that I chose one ml pitcher to style all of my advice after, that would be Greg Maddux, (I jokingly call myself the “Unofficial Headmaster of the Unautherized School of Maddux”), why? Well he has pitched for 20 years in the major leagues without an arm injury, he is as average in size and shape as a human being can be (To me this proves that you don’t have to be “special” in body type to be one of the greatest pitches ever), he exemplifies what it means when people tell you that preparation and planning are crucial to success (He knows the strenghts and weaknesses of every player he faces, but still studies them more), he is super in the other aspects of the game 15 gold gloves, does everything at the plate that he’s asked…shoot I even saw him steal a base at the end of last year, he’s a fierce competitor (All those Cy Youngs, 300 wins 3000 k’s etc.) and to top it off he is a WINNER!!
You don’t at this point need a “personal trainer”, but if you have any colleges in your area they tend to have clinics and camps, see if you can get to one.
Then get yourself filmed and post it, I assure you that many of the regular posters onn this site will be able to advise you as to how to improve your mechanics.
Good Luck, have fun ask questions.[/quote]

Thanks a lot. I also have another question.

When they say to open and close your hips, what does that mean?

As you pitch, (As a righty) you face third base (From the stretch, or as a portion of your delivery from the wind-up), at this point it is said that your hips are “closed”, as you knee lift and stride toward home and reach foot strike, your hips begin to rotate to face home, when they face home your hips are “open”.
The timing and sequence of this is cause for much debate in relation to which point in the movement of shoulders to hips, movement of arm to hips. This is a portion of those mechanics you were wondering about.
Boy are there some really talented folks on this site that will be pleased to talk about this subject til you say uncle. :shock:

You should feel just as good about throwing a good pitch that induces a weak hit - like a low change-up that gets an infield grounder for an out.

JD gave a good answer to that.

It’s tough to just pick a pitcher and model yourself after them. You would really need to pick a pitcher that has the same physical characteristics as you. Instead, you should learn what things all of the good pitchers have in common. There are a number of guru’s out there that claim to understand this and have published their ideas on this. The list includes Tom House, Paul Nyman, Dick Mills, Mike Marshall, Thurston, Woolforth, Bagonzi, etc.

As JD suggested, read through a bunch of the posts in this forum and you’ll find tons of information.

The saying “stay on top of the ball” is said often but sometimes has the wrong effect - especially with young kids. If you have good mechanics, your release point will just happen where it should be.