Front side shoulder tilt to create velocity?

I’m wondering what this group’s take is on front-side shoulder tilt after breaking the hands and creating the equal and opposite pendulum swing?

From my understanding, people think it aids in staying loaded on your backside retaining more energy for a more forceful rotation forward?

I dont really have an opinion formed one way or the other yet, but it is something I have noticed in a lot of my video analysis.

i think it’s the best way to pitch

I think I agree with you Dusty. From what I can see, it creates a longer lever on the front side, which should allow for more momentum to be built in the pitching arm if used effectively.

I don’t mind it, but I wouldn’t teach it. I look at a guy like Clemens would does kind of the opposite. He tucked his chin down to his front shoulder to help him drive to the plate and stay more compact. I just think from my experience, you lose command by doing this. Pitchers that I have had doing this had good velocity, but poor control. It makes the motion longer and I like to teach compact and controlled.

I think that would be my main concern with teaching it, in that it creates potential obstacles for the pitcher to carry his torso forward to his front side if he doesn’t have strong hip and spine stability/mobility…Although, looking at Roger, I do see he pins his chin to his shoulder, but I also think he does have a little bit of shoulder tilt, its just not as pronounced

Clemens definitely has shoulder tilt:

Thank you for the picture. I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking of shoulder tilt as more severe an angle. I see a little, but his starts later than what I am thinking.

I think the important thing to consider here with shoulder tilt is that it needs to be done in accordance with hip tilt to make sure that the spine is staying in-line and keeping the connection between the lower body and upper body…If mechanics involve a steep shoulder tilt using the torso and not the angle of the hips, then you probably are going to see a disconnect, which could lead to control problems and arm soreness

I love this topic because I think it is critical. Clemens is my favorite example because it can be deceiving. His shoulder tilt at leg lift is directed downward pretty significantly. I think that this helps him get his momentum going before he tilts his shoulders back. To me, the backward shoulder tilt is required more for timing than for actual power. It is essential for creating a good spine angle at foot plant. From what I have seen, the guys who don’t have a backward tilting spine angle at foot plant tend to be the one’s who have real “elbowy” arm actions because the arm has to work too fast to catch up to the body. I am not sure if any of that makes sense to anyone, but here is how I would summerize.

Clemens makes two distinct and intentional moves with his shoulders. IMO, the forward tilt at leg lift is to initiate momentum and the backward tilt during the stride is to help with timing.

http://www.pitchingclips.com/players/roger_clemens.htm

I would love to hear more thoughts on this.

I agree with you on that. There are definitely two intentional shoulder movements. The first one being the forward shoulder tilt as the leg lifts, which like you said is probably for momentum purposes, and then the second one being as he strides forward to hold his weight back until foot plant.