Front (Glove) Arm

After getting your arms to equal and opposite position…do you focus on pulling or tucking that lead (glove) arm or do you just roll the wrist over and complete the throw…looking at Beckett it looks like he does the second but I’ve heard both so I need some clarification because I think me pulling with my glove arm is causing me to fly open a little bit.

Per the NPA model, the glove turns over and stabilizes out front while the torso tracks to the glove. This implies that the glove elbow drops down to a position slightly in front of the torso. But there is no pulling or tucking of the arm back to the torso.

Thanks, do you think that the fact that I’m pulling on my glove arm is probably flying me open and not letting my hips rotate fully through.

Pulling the glove can certainly cause you to fly open. In terms of sequencing, hip rotation happens before shoulder rotation (or maybe at the same time in the case of early shoulder rotation) so I don’t really see pulling the glove playing a role in limiting hip rotation.

But it’s late and my brain is shutting down so if someone disagrees with this, let me know.

Your question relative to your glove arm is a good one. Most pitchers in their early stages do not give justice to this body’s function while progressing forward.

My suggestion to you would be to notice the feel of your body’s balancing sensors as you progress down the slope of the mound. Like any forward motion involving the entire body, your arms provide a “non elected response” to your feeling the movement. Hence, pay particular attention to that glove arm (in slow time). Watch how it will stretch out to a point - then stop. At that point of stop, more often than not your stride foot is directly under that glove. And as such – as the glove arm swings out … so does the body’s tendency to follow suit with the everything else … hips… torso, etc. In fact, if your performing off a very poor pitching surface and you have a video camera, watch in slow motion how this gove arm actually leads just about everything else.

With constant practice, you can keep your hand(glove) of the glove arm inside the stride leg’s thigh as the rest of your posture starts and complete its routine.

Try this:

First do it the old way … the way your use to doing it and video it.
Second, deliberately concentrate on keeping the glove hand back a bit as you start you progression from the leg lift … then as your stride leg stretches out … follow behind with that glove arm … but keep the glove hand on the inside of the strid leg’s thigh. Once the glove arm is where your accustomed to stop’g it – move your chest TOWARDS the glove.

I’ve used this methods over the years and it works perfectly. Also, it helps if you explain this to someone else so they can stand next to you and observe and give you some feed back. You should also notice a real upbeat in the pop in the glove of who’s catching for you.

Please post back and let me know how you did.

Coach B.

Perhaps this will explain my remarks a little better::::

Best wishes.

Coach B.

Well-said, Roger and Coach Baker! Nice pix, CB.

There’s not much more to add but some historical perspective:

In real time, using only your eyes, the release and follow-through phases of a normal pitch delivery are too fast to easily distinguish between a pitcher “pulling the glove into his chest” and a pitcher “bringing his chest to the glove”. So, to the unwary, the advice “pull your your glove in” may seem reasonable. Heck, it looks like that’s more-or-less what MLB pitchers are doing if you don’t oberve carefully enough. In fact, this poor advice about “pulling the glove in” has been a misleading and counterproductive part of the common wisdom of pitching for a long time–especially at the lower levels, where foolishness is often rampant. But, “pulling the glove” and “stabilizing the glove over stride foot and bringing chest to glove” are very different actions and have very different consequences in a pitching delivery, as Coach Baker and Roger discussed. I thought Coach Baker’s discussion and suggestions for a simple experiment were very insightful. In whatever way he came by his understanding of the glove side’s importance, his points were dead on in agreement with what state-of-the-art motion analysis has to say about what elite pitchers do with their glove side during a pitch.

Alright cool thanks alot and I’ll show you the results later with a video or something thank you again for all the responses.

coach baker I appreciate your detailed response if you have followed my posts at all you know I have the same problem as BrantleyF in that I fly open. I’m going to try your advice, hopefully it can get me that 2-4 mph I’ve been searching for. I’ll post again with result video.
Thank you

one way to determine this for yourself is to look at video from the side (beckett is a great example and strong as an ox). on your tv screen (unless you have a new tv or projection. mark on the tv where the glove is with a dry erase marker, and then frame by frame through it. usually you’ll see than the glove doesn’t move backwards till releasea is over.

if you are flying open, one thing you can do is when you get to the top of the delivery and you brace up the back leg, allow your front shoulder to continue to rotate away from the plate (some call this counter-rotation). i find that this works very nice. pedro really does this as the still picture above illustrates nicely.

[quote=“dusty delso”]
if you are flying open, one thing you can do is when you get to the top of the delivery and you brace up the back leg, allow your front shoulder to continue to rotate away from the plate (some call this counter-rotation). i find that this works very nice. pedro really does this as the still picture above illustrates nicely.[/quote]

Could you go into a little more detail as to what you mean here? Continue to rotate away from the plate? -I thought your shoulders were supposed to stay pointed towards home until after foot plant. When I get to the top of my leg lift are you saying to slightly counter-rotate my shoulders so that at foot plant I am closed? Couldn’t this potentially mess up my arm action?

dusty, are you talking about as you stride forward rotate your upper body away from the plate back towards 2nd?

when you begin to move toward the plate, the first part to move forward is the hips. to do this you leave your shoulders and head behind your hips as far as you can. as you do this you can continue to rotate the shoulders closed to increase your torque and separation between the shoulders and hips. this additional closing of the shoulders allows you more time and space to accelerate the ball if you can control it. you are right when you say it could mess up your timing. however if you are looking to increase velocity and really hide the ball, this will do it.

look at the picture of pedro on this thread. he is really closed (counter-rotated) as he is beginning to move down the hill. watch his video clips, they show this pretty good.

let your body come to the glove

instead of an elbow drive, is it a shoulder drive?