Front foot plant?

So my son is 9 yr old, going on 10 in 2 months. He can pitch very accurately (although his velocity isnt quite there, no biggy, he throws consistent 50mph, sometimes getting to 54-55). He can hit both corners and just flat locate the ball where he wants.

The biggest issue I see is his front foot coming out. His front foot will plant about 4-6 inches out from his rear foot. Ive been told not to worry about it that all pitchers are different, especially if hes consistent.

I started working on getting it straightened out recently, should I keep that up? I see some people plant their front foot slightly to the right of their back (RHP), so is it horrible if he plants slightly out?

His body will still stay foward, hes not opening up his shoulder.

This is a common “foot plant” for many youngsters in your son’s age bracket.

Physical (physique) immaturity is probably the main reason.

What’s passed up to the upper body - shoulders and pitching arm to be specific, is the tendency to throw across the body when delivering the baseball. This can have your son installing a “shotgun” style shoulder motion that looks like a " kick" from a shotgun - jerking the throwing shoulder back. This cross body motion can also have a youngster collapse inward with both shoulders after a delivery which can compound shoulder, neck and lumbar soreness.

While your son is pitching, look down at his pivot foot and see if his pivot foot’s toe is pointing downward, into a hole. This one, small detail, is often overlooked. If his pivot foot’s toe is pointing downward, it will force his body’s forward motion off to the side … to the third base side if he’s RH, and to the first base side if he’s LH. The pivot foot is the foot on the throwing side of a pitcher.

In the pictures below, the tell-tale signs of this common problem are shown in the holes right in front of the rubber, and the stride holes made by the stride foot’ plant.

Hope this helps some.

Coach B.