Front foot closed or open

ive been looking around and ive noticed that about 98% of pitchers in the mlb land with there foot open but my high school coach has said that my mechanics arent right becuase i landed with my front foot open and i need to land with it closed.

ive tried doind it and it doesnt feel right. becuase i always land with my back foot front foot and home plate alligned. and to throw with my front foot closed i would either have to opan up my hip BIGTIME or throw across my body.

basically he saying this:

?

and also…

ive started doind the throwers ten program and im wondering how often i should do it.

most of the exercises are stretching and strengthing of the rotator cuff but some are the shoulders and involve light weights and after ive done all of it my arm does seem to be a little weaker and i dont wanna over do it.

and any other programs that dont cost any money that are helpful and you could tell me about are greatly appreciatated[/img]

Lol the first picture you showed has the guy landing slightly closed.

Also, 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

[quote=“Spencer”]Lol the first picture you showed has the guy landing slightly closed.

Also, 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.[/quote]

lol i love steven wright. and i think its 42.9% or something.

[quote=“ltdan”][quote=“Spencer”]Lol the first picture you showed has the guy landing slightly closed.

Also, 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.[/quote]

lol i love steven wright. and i think its 42.9% or something.[/quote]

Well yes but after further calculations, I came up with 87%.

you’re right your foot needs to land with either your toe pointing straight at home plate or slightly closed like the pitcher in your picture but you need to make sure that your foot doesn’t open until right before you land otherwise you are opening up too soon and it will decrease your speed.

Really, position of the front foot at landing is only an issue if it is an indicator (or cause) of some other problem. For example, if landing open causes the hips to open early, then that is a problem. Or, if landing closed causes the hips to not rotate fully, then that is a problem.

If there are no other problems related to the position of the front foot, then forcing you to change is a “cookie-cutter” tactic that won’t buy you much.

open foot helps keep balance and ur throwing to the plate not to third or first base, as though u wood if ur foot is closed

when u close your front foot it counteracts the hip rotation. this will eventually lead to knee problems. your foot should be slightly open or pointing directly at your target