From the Couch to 90

I will definitely try both, thanks again.

You need an arm action that will help you develop some external rotation. It appears that you have very little. Arm action is where you will really make velocity gains. You can squat 1000lbs and not break 82 with your current technique. You should keep lifting but you are not going to find your slot and action without throwing a lot. I actually think long toss would help you loosen up your arm action and help you increase shoulder mobility.

DrStrangeThrow,

I would like a first principle physics explanation as to throwing distance not being a direct result of hand speed at a given release angle. I am good with the math throw it at me.

Best regards,
Ted

@Ted22 what do you mean that I have very little external rotation? Is there a point in my video that shows this flaw? And if so what should the correct arm action look like? Thanks.

Sometimes called forearm lay back. Most high level throwers get the forearm nearly parallel to the ground with the hand behind the body. I will soften my position some because I am sure the video quality does allow all of your external rotation to be seen. But the quickest road to higher velocity is through technique improvement and to improve technique you need to throw a lot.

https://ericcressey.com/shoulder-mobility-drills-how-to-improve-external-rotation

Sincere best wishes for your success,
Ted

Meant to add that 11 sec is about the the point in you video where more external rotation might be seen. It happens at such a high rate of speed it is sometimes hard to capture on a phone video without Coach’s Eye or some other app.

Yeah lets see some slow motion video from a IPhone or something.

Hey Tanner

I’ve read your post and the reactions of the other people and I just want to give my opinion on all the topics. I’m studying physiotherapy in Belgium so I know some stuff of the human body, I also play baseball and I’m a pitcher too. I also have the dream to become a professional pitcher or throw at least 90+ mph. But it’s a bit harder when you live in Belgium because baseball is not e famous sport here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So I’m working hard as well to do as much as possible to reach my dream, that’s why I want to give you my advice to a fellow hard worker! Also sorry for the bad english :wink:
So that’s that :wink:

Ok, first of all I’ve looked up some studies on what biomechanical component every high velocity pitchers have and I’ve found these results:

• Pitchers with larger body mass tended to throw the ball faster than those who weighed less. Muscle gain
  • Pitchers who demonstrated shorter time intervals from SFC (stride foot contact) to MER (maximal external rotation) also exhibited greater ball speed.
  • At the instant of SFC, throwers who displayed greater throwing elbow flexion and stride knee flexion angles threw the ball faster than those with more extended knees and elbows.
  • Those pitchers who exhibited less knee flexion at REL (ball release) threw with higher ball speeds. You can practice this by throwing up hill
  • At REL, the athletes who displayed greater forward trunk tilt threw with increased ball speed when compared to pitchers who displayed a more extended trunk. You can also practice this when throwing up hill
  • Pitchers who kept their weight back longer during the pitch by keeping the head behind the hips, threw with greater ball speed.
  • Those athletes able to rotate the shoulder externally to greater degrees at the end of the cocking phase also showed increased ball speed
  • Increased angular velocity of the upper trunk and elbow extension also resulted in higher ball velocities
  • The faster you are able to stop your forward momentum, the more force is generated. The faster you stop yourself, the more force you create, and the harder you can throw.
  • A good linear drive towards the home plate will increase velocity as well.

To practice these components you can use the driveline program! Why? Because when you throw with weighted balls your body wants to take the easy pattern, so your body will automatically try to fix your flaws! You throw the ball with everything you got, so in order to do that your body has to correct himself to throw the ball as hard as possible. BUT in order to throw with weighted balls you HAVE to have good strength in your stabilizers of the shoulder and elbow! this is crucial otherwise you will definitely get injury’s!! That’s why some people don’t like driveline, because it puts a lot of stress to you shoulder and elbow joint.
These are the importend stabilizers you have to train in the gym:

• Serrates anterior
  • Rhomboid major and minor
  • Middle and lower trap
  • rotator cuff: infraspinatus, supraspinatus & teres major (they do external rotation and are importend to slow the arm down when releasing the ball)
  • Biceps is also an importend muscle to slow your arm down
  • Wrist flexors (to help your elbow against valgus stress)
    train these muscle excentric, concentric isometric and plyometric!!

Note: The lats and Pecs are importend accelerators in the shoulder when throwing, so train these muscle with power! Not only strenght. But watch out that these muscle won’t over rule the stabilizes, so first make sure that the stabilizers are strong enough!

Now my opinion on longtoss, I’ve also found an scientific article on how longtoss correlates to pitching and found this result:
Hard, horizontal, flat-ground throws have biomechanical patterns similar to those of pitching and are, therefore, reasonable exercises for pitchers. However, maximum-distance throws produce increased torques and changes in kinematics.

So that’s why you first increase your distance little by little until you’ve reached your maximum distance and then decrease your distance with the same intensity as your max-distance throw but you now throw the ball in a straight line! You probably already did this but now you know why :wink:

You should also watch the video’s on youtube from Brent Pourciau, he tells a lot of interesting stuff about pitching and the use of the legs! In my opinion driveline focus more in the upper body, that’s why I watch Brent, he talks a lot about lower body!

Keep doing what you’re doing in the gym and keep working hard and maybe we will see each other in the majors :wink:
Good luck!

8/5/2017

Took a couple days off from the gym as I had back to back exams… Multivariable Calculus and Actuarial Science… exciting right?

Anyways today’s workout was the following:

• Squat (3x5), 200lbs
  • Bench (3x5), 160lbs
  • Cleans (3x5), 135lbs

8/30/2017
Its been a while, went on a cross country road trip for the past two weeks, so I didn’t get any strength training in, only mild cardio.
I look to get back into my heavy lifting with a small drop in weights to get things going again, and working out more consistently than ever.

As another update, I discussed mechanics with my coach again, and we diagnosed my major flaw which is with my arm path (its been diagnosed before but no coach has known how to fix it). We are going to meet and he’ll show me the exact problem with my motion before I can’t fix what I am not aware of. He has some ideas on drills to fix my arm action too. Ideally, this fix paired with my strength training should allow me to get above 75mph (my former personal best when I was playing elite ball)

7/6/2017
An easy full body workout to get back in the swing of things
(3 sets of 6-8 reps for each)

• shoulder press
  • lateral raise
  • chest press
  • rows
  • arm curls
  • dips
  • leg press
  • crunches