From the Couch to 90

Thanks for your opinion, I guess a better way to state my opinion is that I believe long toss shows what your velocity potential is as an estimate but if long toss distance doesn’t correlate to mound velocity it will indicate that there is a mechanical leak in the delivery. It obviously isn’t exact but it seem fairly accurate going by the benchmarks stated in “Complete Pitcher” which is 260’ ~ 80mph, 300’ ~ 89mph.

The correlation between distance and velocity is all over the map. What I did was take every source I could find, and got an average of what was stated distance=mph and built a chart from that. But I usually just assume that 1mph=5ft, which is the most conservative correlation I found.

In my opinion it helps condition the arm and builds confidence. Wether its more effective than other programs I’m not sure but i believe it works for my son. Its an easy way to gauge the increase in arm strength too. Watching the distance slowly increase is fun for him.

I believe long toss is great for the reasons you stated. My son has been an avid long tosser for several years & believes it’s very beneficial. I do believe however that anyone starting a long toss program anticiapating a direct corolation to velocity will be disappointed.

6/25/2017
So today I followed @Coach_Baker 's advice and found myself a personal pitching coach to help me reach this goal. He works for the Jays and has set me up on an intensive workout program to gain strength extremely quickly along with upping my calorie intake to 4000/day. However, I have been advised that no throwing should take place during this time.

I also asked about Driveline, and the response was that Driveline will add arm strength but due to the heavy focus on weighted balls he pretty much guaranteed elbow issues and possibly TJ from this program and advised that I stay away from it. Again, just one mans opinion.

Question of the Day: is velocity made on the field or in the gym?

Velocity is made by arm speed. The trick is figuring out how to move the body in a way that produces such speed.

Do you have an opinion on the best way to increase arm speed? I’m just hesitant because I’ve never been told that I’ll increase velocity but shouldn’t throw.

Creating efficient movement down the mound. Some say lead with the hip. I like Lantz Wheelers explanation to get the “center mass” moving. He teaches that the momentum creates “peer pressure”, in other words speeds up the arm. Hope I didn’t butcher that but best I can explain in a nutshell.

6/26/2017
First day completing my new program to gain mass and strength quickly

• Squats 3x5 105lbs
  • Press 3x5 75lbs
  • Deadlift 1x5 135lbs
    I eased myself into this program today getting the form for the exercises prior to adding a lot more weight. Now that I have one day under my belt I hope to up the weight by a lot moving forward (at least 10-20lbs per workout)

Question of the Day: do professional teams prefer a pitcher that is big in weight (filled out, i.e. 6’3" 235lbs) or one that is lanky (6’3" 180lbs)?

Maybe I can help you. I’m a physics professor with new ideas for throwing that add velocity and gain better control (i.e., for breaking pitches) with less arm strain. I know about arm strain, as I threw upwards of 95 mph as a pro left-hander a good 30 years ago. However, even now at 55 years of age, I’m throwing hard thanks in part to my knowledge of physics coupled with new ways of training and rehabilitating the arm (body).

For sure, I’m willing to try any technique to gain velocity. Message me anytime.

Feel free to message ne as well thanks

Yes, the long toss method to the mound transition is rather mythical. Of course, I’m a physics professor (of more than 20 years) who threw hard as a pro (played outfield and later pitched) and I have a unique perspective into both worlds (i.e., baseball and physics). Unfortunately, the baseball folks that I encounter usually dismiss advice that is based in science as they struggle to understand it. In a nutshell: to throw off the mound entails arm speed, whereas throwing long distances requires arm strength and confusing as it is to baseball people, the two are not exactly one and the same. BTW: Back in the day, I could throw the ball over 300 feet and I did so one time standing next to the late George Scott (The Boomer) in a toss from home-plate over the right-field wall: to which George replied, “You crazy man! Don’t do that agin’!” And George was right, so I never did.

6/28/2017
In the gym again this morning:

• Squats 3x5, 115lbs
  • Bench 3x5, 115lbs
  • Deadlift 1x5, 155lbs

QOTD: what is your opinion on bench pressing as a pitcher?

Tanner,

Search on this site for kyleb he’s Kyle Boddy president of Driveline and read his posts so you judge for yourself if he knows his stuff. Follow him on Twitter @drivelinebases, he’s also got Instagram and YouTube.

Search for lankylefty on here Ben Brewster former MiLB LHP and current owner of Tread Athletics follow him on Twitter @TreadAthletics he also has YouTube

Follow @PitchingNinja on Twitter for a massive collective of clips of Pitchers throwing.

The one thing that stood out from your original post was you said

“gain credibility for coaching pitching in the future”

Don’t think you aren’t credible if you don’t/didn’t throw hard or play at a high level. There’s tons of guys out there who really know their stuff and are successful Coaches and when they played they couldn’t break a pane of glass no matter how hard they threw. Same with there’s guys out there who were All Stars, and Cy Young winners who couldn’t teach the art no matter how hard they tried.

I know you said the end goal is to be drafted, but that is highly unlikely coming out of a Canadian school let alone an OUA school, if you want to give yourself the best chance I would consider getting stateside, but with your age and your current velo that will be difficult.

Keep working I look forward to following your progress.

Thanks, I will look into those three that you mentioned above and do my research.

Yes, I feel that I am one of those players that knew a lot but couldn’t apply it to myself. However, growing up the only instructors that I was told to go to all had professional experience. I guess its not a prerequisite, but it will help.

However, my dream is to work in baseball whether it be playing or coaching. Obviously, playing is ideal, and I know I have the deck stacked against me with age and velocity however, I don’t want to have any regrets. With my size and maturity both mentally and physically that I’ve gained over my past couple years off, I feel that I can make some gains over the next several months and try moving stateside.

My boys,have had tremendous,success with driveline. Because they were young we made some modifications. And i kept a very detailed “pain log”. Recording every ache and pain and during what drill it occured during. That led to further modifictions and going at our own pace. But we really like it

I am wanting some opinions, if I am throwing low 70s right now with my arm out if shape, what would be a good goal for pitching velocity over the coming months. Im looking for suggestions so I can actually set a reasonable goal for myself that will also push me to my limit!

7/2/2017
Another low rep, high weight workout:

• Squats 3x5, 125lbs (+10 from last time)
  • Press 3x5, 85lbs (+10 from last time)
  • Deadlift 1x5, 175lbs (+20 from last time)

Im beginning to realize why my velocity was so slow when I was playing for a guy that is my height… my squat is very low… I’m working hard to get it up, My goal is 225lbs (ideally by the end of July).

7/4/2017
Slowly making some gains to my workouts

• Squats 3x5, 135lbs (+10 from last time)
  • Bench Press 3x5, 125lbs (+10 from last time)
  • Deadlift 1x5, 195lbs (+20 from last time)