From my little town

Jake pitched last night for San Fran

He was 2 years ahead of my son at the same HS, played on the same team…here he is warming up in the minors last year…I’m so proud of him, our town…little bitty lil town in Crackerville Florida…I don’t think there has been another actual professional out of our High School yet besides Mr. Dunning

San Francisco IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Lincecum(L, 4-7) 6.0 6 3 2 5 3 0 4.57
Mijares 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2.22
Dunning 1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0.00
Totals 8.0 7 3 2 5 4 0 4.13
Atlanta IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Teheran(W, 5-3) 6.0 7 0 0 1 8 0 3.36
Avilan(H, 10) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1.98
Walden(H, 3) 1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 3.32
Kimbrel(S, 19) 1.0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1.71
Totals 9.0 7 0 0 1 12 0 3.23

Awesome stuff

Oh, come on now, JD—give that “little bitty” town some credit! I checked a map, and that “little bitty” town is actually a suburb of Jacksonville, which is NOT a little town at all. And it has produced a couple of major leaguers and a couple more who are bound to make it. So go ahead, give yourself a pat on the back—you won’t break your arm. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ahh my friend, how truly wrong you are…though we aren’t but an hour away (And yes some good players have come from Jacksonville…Desi Relaford, Brett Meyers, Glenn “The Milkman” Davis, Billy Butler, Vince Coleman…my good friend Rick Wilkins)…heck Tim Tebow would absolutely be a major league outfielder OR pitcher this very moment…but Green Cove Springs??? No we are more similar to…well heck, I can’t find a little enough town around Tampa…but Ustis or Umatilla mid-state would be more like us…we have maybe 12,000, though we are the county seat…heck Palatka (The county seat of our bordering county Putnam) is 3-4 times our size…When I first got there in 1996, the little league was maybe 3 major teams (10-12) and t-shirts and hand-me-down pants.
What I will smile about our little community and proudly attest…we changed this in baseball…several like-minded folks (I count myself as a catalyst as I had already coached more than a decade in Jacksonville before moving here and I had the contacts to UNF and Rick) got together and partnered with The University of North Florida and the aforementioned Mr. Wilkins to “bring quality baseball” to our town…since that time…our little town has won many Babe Ruth District titles and 2 state titles, as noted above…Jake Dunning has made the bigs and several guys drafted, a slew of scholly’s (My son being among those) and it has become a regular stop for scouts…honestly, the first scouts we can remember coming around were actually looking to come see Tebow at our place…they ended up seeing a sidewinder we had who was a year ahead of my son and my son (The guy from The Citidel told my sophmore son to keep doin what he was cuz he was doin it right :lol:)…
So Zita…we ain’t Ybor City, heck we still have way more churches then 7-11’s…and they are charasmatic…bible believin…no non-sense folk (You just cannot believe how bad I got worked over by team mom’s the 1st time I suggested a Wed. practice (Wed. is church night in Green Cove…and don’t be messin around!!!).

Heard the Giants’ radio broadcast crew talking about Dunning the other day when he came into a game against the Padres and threw several innings of very effective relief.

They were very, very impressed with him–they also mentioned that a lot of his hometown connections were in attendance when Dunning made his MLB debut for the G’s vs Atlanta, in Georgia.

Well, one inning…but against the heart of the Padres’ order…here is some local press:

"Manager Bruce Bochy made an interesting call after Madison Bumgarner left today’s game. He bypassed setup man Jeremy Affeldt, who allowed Jesus Guzman’s two-run homer in the eighth inning Tuesday night, and had rookie Jake Dunning face the top of San Diego’s lineup.

He struck out Chris Denorfia on three pitches, allowed a single to right, retired Chase Headley on a fly to center and got Kyle Blanks to ground out.

“I can’t use the same guys every day,” Bochy said. “These guys need a break. Dunning was my freshest arm. We have faith in all of these guys. Dunning did a nice job. He faced the heart of their order. That had to be a confidence boost for him. He gave us a key inning.”

Sergio Romo then had a 1-2-3 ninth for his 18th save in 21 chances."

Wow thanks Lee! 8)
I was hoping to get some of the SF skinny on the kid 8)

[quote]-they also mentioned that a lot of his hometown connections were in attendance when Dunning made his MLB debut for the G’s vs Atlanta
[/quote]

His high school coaches and several school buddies were there…I wish it were possible to express just how this place feels right now :smiley:
Couldn’t be a nicer kid or family…his brother was drafted this year, I saw him play a couple times when they played Andy’s HS squad, they came a hairs breath from taking the state 5 A this year :shock: THAT would have been TALL COTTON let me tell you a school with less than 1200 taking down Miami, Tampa, Jax, Tallahassee…seriously…if I didn’t live here it would still be the most incredible “Mouse that Roared” story I’ve heard since Hoosiers.

Shoot, I just followed the player link I posted and his 1st appearance is on vid right under his picture :shock: getting Upton to ground to short and having the announcers do just what La said and talking good things about his delivery :wink:
HOW COOL TO HAVE THE VID OF HIS 1st APPEARANCE…gees…

Great story JD