From catching to pitching

I was a pitcher until the last two years. The coach I had on the city rec. team tried to make a catcher out of me since he didn’t draft a catcher. I am on the 9th grade team this year and trying to pitch again. How do I get my pitching arm back? I’m having a hard time not throwing from my ear.

Zack

Though a number of things are obviously involved in the wind-up, I’m only going to mention a specific area that’s most likely causing your “throwing from your ear”. You, as you’ve most likely been told, have been “short-arming”, which is a typical release by a catcher since your objective is to get rid of the ball as quickly as you can. To do that, you have most probably been taking the ball from your glove in an upward movement. To eliminate throwing from your ear, break your hands near your belly-button with the pitching arm/hand moving in a downward fashion. That way you’re giving your arm a chance to get into a “longer” throwing position and will help eliminate the short-arming.

Best thing to do is contact dm59 and ask him to send you some videos of major league pitchers that he has. Their content is a super learning tool. By watching the pitching motion within them and “matching” it up against some video of yourself, you should be able to literally see what you need to do.

Good luck.

In my opinion, the most important thing to do is to not pick up your forearm after breaking your hands (and not bring your hand past your ear to get to the Ready position). Instead, you want to swing your arms down, out, and around to get to the Ready position.

The temptation to pick up your forearm can be reduced by breaking your hands lower; at your belt buckle rather than at the letters.