Freshman Year, Pitching Begins

Im topping out at 71-72. Best pitch is slider, breaks about 8 inches down and away (from a righty) much more away than down though. Goes about 68-70, also throw a curve that breaks 10 inches down more than away, goes about 64-66. It is more of a power curve.

What do you think and how can i get better?[/b]

Today was a little challenging considering that my pitching coach has every pitcher must come to their waste on the stretch leg kick. For two years i had been using the “slide step”, instead of the classical leg kick.

Also instead of my original “gate leg swing” on my step towards home so i could get a little more velocity the coach says i must use the forward hip thrust so i can get more resistance and bite on my slider and curve.

These two changes have thrown off my release point and my control has seemed to go a little high.

However the challenges, coach says he does like my break and said that i have a good looking zip on my four seamer. He wishes i had a good change, but really likes my slider. I hope i can start bringing my pitch back down, and i like the bite my slider has now. Still having a little trouble getting my curve to stay low from release, now it has a sort of looping action.

Any thoughts or stories similiar to mine?

[quote]Today was a little challenging considering that my pitching coach has every pitcher must come to their waste on the stretch leg kick. For two years i had been using the “slide step”, instead of the classical leg kick.

Also instead of my original “gate leg swing” on my step towards home so i could get a little more velocity the coach says i must use the forward hip thrust so i can get more resistance and bite on my slider and curve. [/quote]

What does that mean?

[quote=“sickjunkman33”] Still having a little trouble getting my curve to stay low from release, now it has a sort of looping action.
Any thoughts or stories similiar to mine?[/quote]

Try bouncing a few over the plate. Usually helps me.

well Offset what i mean by slide step is that i use to just sorta slide my foot towards home plate. it is alot faster in release and holds runners on.

also the gate leg swing is when you come from the hip you swing open you hips. now i am just throwing my front hip towards the catcher and staying closed.

I know what a slide step is, jut I’m not so sure on what you mean by ‘Gate leg kick’