Freshman Throwing Mechanics

This clip is from a scrimmage on May 10.
So far some things I have been working on is-
-Arm action (I have been trying to make it quicker, though in the video it still looks pretty long)
-Tempo and Intent (I think my tempo has improved a little but definitely could become faster, I also think my intent has improved but isn’t where it needs to be)
I hope others have some other ideas on what I can improve and how to improve them.
Thank you for your help.

[quote]Arm action (I have been trying to make it quicker, though in the video it still looks pretty long)
-Tempo and Intent (I think my tempo has improved a little ut definitely could become faster, I also think my intent has improved but isn’t where it needs to be)[/quote]

A better longer video showing more pitches would help with a better analysis. That being said…

Arm action looks pretty good, it may be a little long but at foot strike it appears to be close to 90 degrees.
Tempo looks ok too. Why are you looking to increase your tempo? Faster tempo is not always better.
Your intent is something only you can determine. The intent has to be there to be successful, in my opinion

Thank you for the reply.
With tempo I mean getting rid of a defined balance point. I don’t really see any point in a balance point.
I have some more clips from the game which are in slow motion. (Does any one know how to make .gifs that play the video in real time?)

Fastball

Fastball

Fastball

Curveball

From the videos you have shown, I don’t see anything major wrong.

I would need to see a clip from the 3rd base angle to be completely sure, but everything looks good. You may be opening up early, but that’s hard to tell by watching a clip at full speed.

You may also need to work on you separation(hip/shoulder) but that’s also hard to tell with a full speed video.

One more thing I just noticed. Your lead leg seems to get stiff when it begins to descend towards the plate. To me, it seem like it should remain more loose until footplant.

Someone else can confirm that, but that is just my opinion.

Looks really good, but get some 3rd base and/or centerfield view videos if you can.

And to answer your question about the gif. I have this youtube downloader thing that I use to get stuff off of youtube. It also has a thing that converts videos to other formats, so maybe you want to look into getting one of those. The one I use was free and you can convert any videos you have to other formats.

Hope this helps!

Sorry, just don’t see a problem with you leg kick or balance point or tempo for that matter. As a matter of fact your leg action looks pretty good to me. I do agree with Jimster that you may open up a bit soon and could work on more hip/shoulder separation. But as I stated before, overall you look pretty good.

Thank you for the responses.
I think my tempo is better then what I previously thought, though I will see once I have a side view. I will hopefully pitch this Friday, and will get video from the side.
I also agree I open up a little early and could increase seperation. Is their any good drills to work on this?
Thank you.

I ended up not pitching until this wednesday but I did get a side view and a front view. I think working on seperation and a little quicker arm action is a good place to start. Thank you for reading.

Side Views:
See highlander5547
See highlander5547
See highlander5547
See highlander5547
See highlander5547

Front Views:
See highlander5547
See highlander5547
See highlander5547

Looking at the side view, it seems like your there is a disconnect. Your forearm should be around a 90 degrees or less angle with the upper arm around foot plant. I am not saying that the arm is late, all i am saying is that a “tighter” forearm would most likely produce more whip which equals greater velocity. If you need this explained clearer, let me know and i’ll try… This is one of the things they preach at the Texas Baseball Ranch.

To me your mechanics look pretty good overall. I think you could use more hip/shoulder separation.

I don’t see the disconnect Beaver26 was talking about. Your arm may be slightly behind at foot plant but I think that would clear up by staying more closed with your shoulders through your stride.