Freshman pitching Varsity-Tuff Cuff user

Hey baseball fans,
Slader’s dad here and I just wanted to say that Slader has made the varsity team as a pitcher. He will still play with the freshmen and sophomore teams and join the varsity as needed. Coach told him he would get regular spots.
He pitched 3 innings yesterday as a test for the varsity and did real well the first 2 innings with 2k’s, 1 hit, no runs. 43 pitches and only 12 balls in the first 2 innings. Battled the leadoff hitter to an eleven pitch walk.
He got a blister and didn’t tell his coach and couldn’t get through the 3rd. He left with 2 outs and runners on but the reliever cleaned things up for him. I thought he was either getting tired or something else was wrong as his pitches started going up in the zone.
The main thing I noticed was that he pitched the RH batters inside a lot and then painted the outside out of the plate. The other team’s coach got on his players about trying to pull those pitches.
Slader is 6’4" in his spikes, weighs around 205 and is a Leftie. He trained using Tuff-Cuff over the winter months. His velocity a year ago topped at 67 and this year he was gunned at 77 by his coaches. Not bad for a 15 year old.

Can anyone help on loading a video from a DVR camera?

Steve, thanks for great training manual!

thats good for a 15 yr old but at 6’4" 205lbs I believe he should be able to bring it a lot harder.

That’s good for a freshman. The rest of the velocity will come with age and maturity, he seems tall and big which is good. :smiley: Great job for making the team by the way.

Thanks for the support Bower. I agree that age will bring about more velocity. Jamesh will learn not to use “but” and put others on the defensive. So is it good for a 15 year old or not? Your “but” negates everything you just said.
Slader has great mechanics and an great attitude towards the game. His older brother asked him if he was nervous about pitching varsity and he said “it’s all about playing the game.”

[quote=“Slader”]Thanks for the support Bower. I agree that age will bring about more velocity. Jamesh will learn not to use “but” and put others on the defensive. So is it good for a 15 year old or not? Your “but” negates everything you just said.
Slader has great mechanics and an great attitude towards the game. His older brother asked him if he was nervous about pitching varsity and he said “it’s all about playing the game.”[/quote]

Sorry I didn’t quite understand this about the “but” thing. When you ask if it’s good for a 15 year old, it could mean a lot of things.

[quote=“Slader”]Thanks for the support Bower. I agree that age will bring about more velocity. Jamesh will learn not to use “but” and put others on the defensive. So is it good for a 15 year old or not? Your “but” negates everything you just said.
Slader has great mechanics and an great attitude towards the game. His older brother asked him if he was nervous about pitching varsity and he said “it’s all about playing the game.”[/quote]

His using “but” was not to put you on the defensive. It was to let you know, that being 6’4", 205 and throwing 77 is a bit below average.

what is the tuff cuff. i have heard all about it. is it possible to purchase it in any stores?

It’s a complete pitchers workout. Written by the starter of this website, available on amazon.

Point taken pitchking, and as a father you will react the same at times. I believe a little more encouragement is needed for all players. Consistent improvement and development will take you a long way rather than frustration of not having it all now.
Strength comes with age and maturity, not size alone. Maybe Slade will not throw with more velocity than what he has right now, but maybe he will keep increasing 3-5 mph per year. I know his high school coaches like what they see. He is still a kid, a big goofy kid!

Tuff Cuff is a good program, I highly recommend it.