Freshman Lefty Starter for Queens College tops out at 89

Hey guys, just go to Kyle Contino Warm Ups - YouTube Just give me some thougbtson what you think, I’ve been an outfielder all my life and my college coah put me on the mound and I hit 89, I am working with 100% raw ability. I am 5/9 165lbs.

You look bigger than that…if your a lefty and you throw 90 you will get drafted. As long as you get out there. If you can hit it consistantly though. It would be better for a closer up video though. Hard to tell. Maybe a shorter of a stride.

Did you ever pitch in high school?

That’s just simply not true. Especially if he is 5’9.

I’m not saying he can’t be drafted, I won’t take anything away from him, but the general statement that if you’re a lefty and you throw 90 you will get drafted is just not correct.

I disagree. If you are lefty and throw 90 you will get drafted. Especially if you are still in a developmental age group. Anyone in a developmental age group that throws that hard will get lots of looks.

Allow me to clarify, if you throw 90 and have command of your pitches and looks mechanically sound or exceptionally athletic you will get drafted. There are guys that throw 90 that obviously do not get drafted.

That’s just simply not true. Especially if he is 5’9.[/quote]

I disagree. If you are lefty and throw 90 you will get drafted. Especially if you are still in a developmental age group. Anyone in a developmental age group that throws that hard will get lots of looks.

Allow me to clarify, if you throw 90 and have command of your pitches and looks mechanically sound or exceptionally athletic you will get drafted. There are guys that throw 90 that obviously do not get drafted.[/quote]

I don’t think college is considered developmental age group.

There were two pitchers in my conference both under 6 feet tall and both threw 90. Both were top pitchers in the conference and both just had ridiculous numbers. I’m talking top 50 in all Division I numbers.

Neither of them got drafted. Why? Because of their size.

Again, i’m not taking away anything from the original poster because for someone who never threw in hs his mechanics look sound, my argument lies with the people who think just because you’re a lefty and you throw 90 means you’ll get drafted.

lefty throwing 90 would get drafted at 3’4…doesnt mean he’d be a high pick or anything but yes a lefty throwing 90 will get drafted…most orginizations think to teach control so they pick players with velocity.

This is false. Nothing is a guarantee in baseball, nothing.

:hijack:

Not sure if it’s Brian or Kyle in the video but the pitcher in the video looks to me to be throwing with all arm. Good arm speed but could be using the lower half more. Take some of the load off the arm and lengthen the stride at the same time.

If you’re a lefty and you’re in college and you’re throwing 90 you’ll get drafted in one of the 9785643 rounds in the draft. Kids that threw 85 in my high school league got drafted out of high school. The fact that your a lefty makes your actual in game performance less meaningful, although it will raise your draft stock. Potential is all the scouts really need.

edit: the fact that you just converted makes it even better. once you get more fluid and explosive in your weight transfer and get looser arm action, you’ll throw even harder. You looked pretty solid for a new guy in that video and know how to throw a baseball. What I’m saying is just through comfortability over a year maybe, you’ll throw even harder. 95 doesn’t seem like a stretch for you.

btw are you playing at concordia’s field? that place is complete trash.

Getting drafted out of high school throwing high 80’s is more feasible than a pitcher in college who throws 90. Mostly because of projectability.

I already gave two examples of division one left handers who lead not only our conference but the nation in some instances who threw 90 who didnt get drafted so I really don’t understand the “if you throw 90 and you’re a left you automatically get drafted” mentality.

maybe they threw closer to 85 because I find that very hard to believe. I see guys on espn that play for top d1 schools having trouble getting above 87 who supposedly topped out at 93 in high school and they are very successful. If you really throw 90 as a lefty. then you’re getting drafted.

Well I see you have your mind made up and it doesn’t matter what I tell you you’re going to think that all lefties who throw 90 get drafted.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Joe%20Testa&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=545129

Both throw 90, neither of them drafted.

I don’t see the part of the scouting report where it says “Consistently throws 87-90” or something like that.

well playing in the same conference as them and receiving scouting reports and seeing the radar gun on both of them, i can assure you they both threw 90