Free Weighted Baseball Velocity Development Book!

Finally got around to launching this:

I know AccelerateGuy is looking forward to a late Christmas gift :wink:

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Kyle

I’ve read through your book and it seems like a really good off-season program.

I, however, do not have any weighted baseballs besides the 6 oz. and 4 oz. ones.

In my opinion, I don’t want to increase my stress on my arm anymore than necessary. Throwing is an unnatural thing for the body to do, and it seems to me that increases the weights above the 20%(above and below 5 oz) seems detrimental to my arm. If I’m altering my motion other than my normal motion, I feel like the chance for injury is greater.

Again, just my opinion. I like the idea of weighted baseballs, but for me personally I don’t want to go above 6 or below 4. Your program looks like a really good one. I just would prefer to spend more throws on mechanical things than just weighted balls.

I like your ebook though. Not a lot of guys would hand out the much information for an email.

Thanks!

Weighted ball programs utilizing balls heavier and lighter than 20% of regulation are becoming more numerous. The NPA has one. And, although I don’t know for sure, I suspect Woolforth has one as well.

What you need to understand is that these balls are not thrown full distance. Rather they are thrown short distance into a net or padded wall. It is important to know and follow the protocol which may mean hooking up with a knowledgable instructor who knows what he is doing and execute the program under his supervision. You should also probably be in good condition with good mechanics.

As a side note, people thow footballs all the time and footballs are more that 20% heavier. But what you should notice is that the throwing arm is not extended as much as it is when throwing a baseball. In general, the heavier the object, the closer to the body the arm is kept. Think “shot put”.

If you don’t want to increase the stress on your arm, don’t throw 90 MPH! :slight_smile:

Stress is not (necessarily) a bad thing. Hans Selye’s General Adaptation Syndrome

forms the basis of understanding how we train our bodies to withstand ever-increasing loads of stress.

By using heavier and lighter baseballs, you can slowly introduce these stressors safely.

As our program states, altering your natural throwing motion is PRECISELY what this program is intended to do on some level. It’s almost certain that your current throwing motion is not the same one you will use to throw 90 MPH.

Thanks for the program Kyle. Look forward to going over this. The weighted ball subject is a funny one. I have had a coach yell at me at very suggestion of weighted balls being implemented (6oz & 4oz) then not 30 seconds later suggest throwing a football (about 15oz). It will be nice to read some information NOT based in emotion and tradition for traditions sake.

[quote=“Roger”]Weighted ball programs utilizing balls heavier and lighter than 20% of regulation are becoming more numerous. The NPA has one. And, although I don’t know for sure, I suspect Woolforth has one as well.

What you need to understand is that these balls are not thrown full distance. Rather they are thrown short distance into a net or padded wall. It is important to know and follow the protocol which may mean hooking up with a knowledgable instructor who knows what he is doing and execute the program under his supervision. You should also probably be in good condition with good mechanics.

As a side note, people thow footballs all the time and footballs are more that 20% heavier. But what you should notice is that the throwing arm is not extended as much as it is when throwing a baseball. In general, the heavier the object, the closer to the body the arm is kept. Think “shot put”.[/quote]

Wolforth uses weighted balls extensively in his Athletic Pitcher Program. I think the most important part of using weighted balls is that you have good mechanics so you don’t get excessive stress on weaker parts of your shoulder or arm. However, with the Athletic Pitcher Program, we use 2 lb balls 5 days a week. Since using the weighted ball program, the amount of arm injuries in our college is almost non-existant. I didn’t used to be, but now I am a big believer in the use of weighted balls.

BenFA, good to know, thanks for your comments.

I knew most of this already, but it’s always awesome to hear about it from others. Thanks for sharing.

Some of our guys are throwing 2 lb. baseballs as well. They are for different reasons, and writing a program with a 2 lb. baseball in it wasn’t something I wanted to do for various reasons.

I’ve done Paul Nyman’s weighted ball program twice with my son in the off season for 8 weeks each time and gained at least 6MPH each time.

The information on that site is awesome.

Really want to purchase RTFN - had the initial license for one year.

Or Paul if you’re out there maybe you could post some of your BC drills?

I wish my memory were that good and/or all the links to videos worked on setpro.com.

Regards,

Ed

Hey Kyleb…what do you think of using a football to help build arm strength? Not as a replacement for throwing a baseball or weighted baseball program but more of just general arm strength. I typical football weighs 15oz. Mixing some longer arched throws and some bullets would seem to be triggering two different responses from the shoulder. Obviously the throwing motion will be a little different and the grip on the ball is much different than a baseball. It seems (just observational, not researched) that quarterbacks seem to have a lower throwing arm injury rate than pitchers while throwing a heavier ball. Of course, the amount of intense in game throwing is much less for a quarterback than a pitcher, but, in practice its not unusual for a quartback to make 200 throws, not counting warm ups. I have had plenty of qbs complain of being sore but actually injury seems to be a low occurance. Thanks for the weighted ball program as well, good information, looking forward to working this one in during the offseason. Thanks for your time.

I can’t really say whether or not throwing a football would be beneficial, but I’d be inclined to think that it’s not that useful. You could spend that time and training economy on something more specific. Just a guess, though.

Big update!

After a year or so of reports of the book rolling in, I’ve finally updated it with results from our facility/lab and what people have said.

We are also manufacturing and selling our own line of weighted baseballs!

Go check out the new book and see the weighted baseballs:

Congrats Kyle

Thanks! I think they came out pretty well:

They look awesome man