Frame By Frame Analysis - Tanner Lorenz

Tanner asked me to do a Frame By Frame Analysis of his mechanics, and I have complied since I think he’s got a shot…

My comments are embedded in the document, but some highlights are…

1. In general, I wouldn’t change much if anything unless there is a problem. He has talked about having good velocity but some control problems.

2. I really like his timing and arm action. It reminds me of Freddy Garcia and some other pitchers whose mechanics I like.

3. The biggest problem I have with what I see is where his glove finishes (behind his left butt cheek). I would prefer that his glove finished somewhere around his GS pec for both safety and defensive reasons.

chris i have a question i have to work out for a month and do physical therepy then i will be released to go back to pitching if i send you something in a month will you look at it? It could be as long as 1month and a half will you look at it ? idk

Yes, but I’m going to have to start charging for detailed analyses like the one I did of Tanner.

how much? will you charge for me to send it to you in about a month and a half?

I don’t (currently) charge for a quick look. I probably charge something like $100 for a detailed breakdown since they take so long to put together.

ok that’s alot of money just to look at it quickly can i send you the video and u just tell me if my mechaics look normal to you. in stead of doing it frame by frame. How do you do it frame by frame anyways?

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Tanner asked me to do a Frame By Frame Analysis of his mechanics, and I have complied since I think he’s got a shot…

My comments are embedded in the document, but some highlights are…

1. In general, I wouldn’t change much if anything unless there is a problem. He has talked about having good velocity but some control problems.

2. I really like his timing and arm action. It reminds me of Freddy Garcia and some other pitchers whose mechanics I like.

3. The biggest problem I have with what I see is where his glove finishes (behind his left butt cheek). I would prefer that his glove finished somewhere around his GS pec for both safety and defensive reasons.[/quote]thanks a lot chris, i can see a couple things that you have mentioned and im going to try improve that glove side arm action, i did get hit by a comebacker last summer and i need to try to protect myself better

tanner how fast do you throw.

Tanner, What is your current velocity? You have another 3-5mph. at least right now. The gurus assesment of your arm action is NOT going to do you any favors in the long haul. Your arm action is lazy [hard to see without a clip but I am going by something else that NEVER lies] but that is directly related to something else you do not utilize to the best of your benefit/ability which is going to hamper your potential. I certainly hope you were not fleeced out of 100bucks for what you were told.

I agree that you could probably up your velocity a few more MPH, via the use of some tricks, but why would you want to if it’s not necessary? If you’re already getting guys out?

Billy Wagner does throw 100 MPH, but he’s had a series of shoulder problems.

If it was my career, I’d get to 90ish and then stop there, focus on learning how to really pitch (rather than just blowing guys away), and hope to have a miserable, un-manly 20+ year like Greg Maddux.

But that’s just me.

Tanner,
There’s something a bit different looking about the stride. It looks like you are bringing the stride leg around with the foot still closed then striding up and out. You are probably losing a lot of momentum that could potentially be translated into velocity by not making the rotation of the stride leg around the body and the stride more of a one piece action. Breaking the stride into two pieces like that may also make it difficult to maintain the same timing from pitch to pitch and that could have an impact on your control. Frames 19-22 look awkward, especially 22, and you may have lost sight of the target at that point. The lack of momentum is shown by your finish where the hip doesn’t really turn over.

I’d recommend looking at a clip of Roy Oswalt’s stride. One of my favorites, because it is a lot like my son’s just better. If you do you’ll see that Oswalt is continuously dropping and rotating into footplant despite the fact that he drops considerably before pushing off. There’s no up and out to his motion.

I don’t really like the long arm action bringing the ball back but if you look at Jim Palmer sometime he had really strange arm action and was more than a little bit effective. It isn’t something I would suggest trying to change except as a last resort.

I wouldn’t worry about the lean as your eyes are staying on target and the lean let’s you throw at a bit more of a downward angle. It shouldn’t have much if any impact on your control.

chinmusic,
What guru? :lol:

His GS foot does skim the ground at first and then seems to pop up in the air as he gets close to Foot Plant. It then drops down into Foot Plant.

However, I don’t know if I’d mess with this.

One thing to look at is his PAS foot (and PAS toe).

It’s not smooth.

Instead, it bounces all over the place (off the ground and then back down) at and just past the Release Point. By comparison, Greg Maddux’s PAS foot pretty smoothly drags on the ground until after the Release Point.

I’m not sure why this happens, but it could indicate a balance problem.

Messing or not messing with it is Tanner’s decision. I don’t pretend to be an expert so anything I point out is just my interpretation and should be taken with a grain of salt.

My guess is that the reason he locks up a bit and the posting leg toe does a hop and then near stop is that he turns, slows down losing his rotational momentum, then virtually jumps up and out, which causes the little hop but by then he’s lost most of his forward momentum so the toe pretty much stops until his upper body pulls through fairly weakly.

My guess, and that is all it is, is that he started as a down and outer with a relatively short stride and then tried to increase his stride length. The static position looks good but the move into and out of foot plant doesn’t.

As far as the glove position goes almost all hard throwers end up with their bodies turned such that their right hip and shoulder is facing the plate at the end of their follow through and the glove isn’t in a good location to help in any case.

[quote=“Jay21328”]tanner how fast do you throw.[/quote]around 90

Tanner -

I noticed that your GS foot goes up straight down, then glides low to the ground till about frame 17 - then at frame 18 till footstrike it raises considerable off the ground… Does this help you stay closed longer? Does it also help you start to turn your hips into landing? Are you consciously doing this?

[quote=“CADad”]chinmusic,
What guru? :lol:[/quote]

CaDad, Certainly not you! That is a good thing. Your comment rings true for me too. Do you see or know what I am referring too? You have known me for quite a while now, you know what I look for or at as part of a solid delivery that utilizes potential. I believe this kids arm action would only get better without a need to say a word about it, it just may just happen IF he.

CaDad dont say a word please P.M. me on this and we can talk more, thanks

I agree that you could probably up your velocity a few more MPH, via the use of some tricks, but why would you want to if it’s not necessary? If you’re already getting guys out? Tricks? No chris no tricks here just some good solid advice that has been dispensed fopr the last 15 or so years. not even any smoke and mirrors either.

Billy Wagner does throw 100 MPH, but he’s had a series of shoulder problems. How big is Billys contract?

If it was my career, I’d get to 90ish and then stop there, focus on learning how to really pitch (rather than just blowing guys away), and hope to have a miserable, un-manly 20+ year like Greg Maddux. This kid will NEVER EVER see 90 with his current mechanics infact its not humanly possible with his current mechanics!! Maddux is a right handed freak pitcher that comes along once in a lifetime. If your trying to mold somebody into a Maddux I REALLY feel for ya and moreso for your students because unless hes a freak of nature too hes DONE. I have a very very good friend that hails from Atlanta. Hes played golf on several occasions with Maddux. As effective as Maddux is he states “the fastball is king” he also states “I am this close to getting racked with just about every single pitch I throw”. Maddux is more of a “master craftsmen” if you will ,the rest of us mere mortals are only “carpenters” compared to him. Emulating him may have some merit but unless you are able to become the master craftsmen he is better get the neck roll thing going on because much of the time spent will be watching long long fly balls going up up and away.

But that’s just me.[/quote]

[quote=“Tanner Lorenz”][quote=“Jay21328”]tanner how fast do you throw.[/quote]around 90[/quote] Tanner, 90? Id love to see it but I will take your word for it because I have been reading your posts for a while now. I know your a extremely hard worker. If so you are one out of a very very small pool that throw 90 and take a hell of a long time to get it done. In other words your one of the few that can drive a car 5mph. and make it to a store thats 7 miles away in an hour, get the point? CONGRATULATIONS on actually making it to the next level. NOW GET TO WORK!!!good luck!!