For you Steve. Do scouts look for pitchers who can hit?

Do MLB scouts look for pitchers who can hit or just concentrate on pitching?

Just pitching. It’s doesn’t even help if you can hit … it simply doesn’t matter. Can you pitch? That’s all they care about.

alright cause they just get you to bunt anyways

Steven, does that include the college level, too?

Well simply put, if you can hit effectively why are you pitching?

Everyone everywhere except for the NL uses a DH so it doesn’t matter.

Unless your Micah Owings

David Wells can bunt for hits!

Roger Clemens just sort of pokes at the ball very weakly. Like a baby deer swinging a bat.

How often are people exactly equal in pitching respects?

I really don’t think it has much of an impact, for the most part, in a tryout or combine or whatever, they will watch pitchers pitch, the position players will be the ones trying out with a bat in hand.

I am going to have to differ with this. If you can hit, and hit well, you will have a better chance of being drafted.

If a team has to choose between two kids, both equal in pitching respects, they will go for the one that has a good stick.

If pitching doesn’t work out, they haven’t completely lost their investment and may turn you around to be a position player.[/quote]

So it’s not ok for a pitcher to ‘play’ with different tricks that might somehow help with pitching given the situation, but it is ok to bat which is only done for pitchers in AA, AAA, and MLB NATIONAL leagues?

May I point out the fact that when they draft you IF you can hit they might let you hit.

Prime example Adam Loewen of the Baltimore Orioles (AMERICAN League) He is a Pitcher but he could rake with the best of them. When the GM of the O’s was being interviewed about drafting Loewen and the fact that he has a tremendous ability to hit. The GM at the time said that they’d let him hit all throughout the Minors just incase he didn’t work out as a Pitcher. The GM further went on to say why we would take the bat out of his hands and ruin his chances of being a MLB player IF being a Pitcher didn’t work out, that wouldn’t be fair to him. There are many of these cases out there but we (the general public) don’t know about them.

As some of you know I have a friend in an organization (NATIONAL league) whoose Pitching career is now done, he went to College as a Pitcher, was drafted as a Pitcher and spent the first 2 years of his Pro career as a Pitcher. The organization feels he won’t advance beyond the level he’s currently at as a Pitcher so they’ve turned him into a first basemen, because of his ability to hit, and he hasn’t regularly hit in 2 years.

Overall they don’t care if you can hit as Steven has said, but if you can it’s just an added bonus and might save your career as a Professional Baseball Player if you struggle on the mound.

It’s very possible that hitting could save your career, although I will say these cases are very rare.

I think that the point that some of you are missing is that if you can hit well at the high school or college level you do get the respect of being a more COMPLETE athlete. We all know that pitchers get a knock sometimes for not being athletic, but this trait is attractive to scouts and organizations. Even though it’s probable that you won’t ever be used in the batters box, simply having the appearance of being a more well rounded athlete will make you more attractive to scouts.

[quote=“Hammer”]It’s very possible that hitting could save your career, although I will say these cases are very rare.

I think that the point that some of you are missing is that if you can hit well at the high school or college level you do get the respect of being a more COMPLETE athlete. We all know that pitchers get a knock sometimes for not being athletic, but this trait is attractive to scouts and organizations. Even though it’s probable that you won’t ever be used in the batters box, simply having the appearance of being a more well rounded athlete will make you more attractive to scouts.[/quote]

So long as you look good right? :?

It’s important to remember that whether coming out of high school or college pro scouts or college coaches may only see you a couple of times at the most.

For me personally, my scout only saw me pitch once before taking a shot at me.

So, anything you can do to standout or make yourself look different from the next guy that throws 88-90… it’s a plus!

what happens when randy johnson hits? He has a giant strike zone.
rick ankiel blew out his arm, and is now a rf, but he used hgh

i hope colleges and mlb teams dont look at your hitting at all because im terriable at hitting. Steve I no you said mlb teams dont look at your hitting, but do colleges?

Not at the D1 level. But I’d say maybe at the D2 and D3 levels. A lot of times, pitchers are expected to play other positions at smaller schools/programs because of sheer lack of players. At the D1 level, however, most pitchers won’t sniff the plate.