For steven (and everybody else) BENCH PRESS

i’m taking weightlifting for a course and we must do a bench press to get our full credit for the workout. i argued w/ the trainer/teacher and he said i have to do 1 or the 3. regular, incline, or decline bench

which should i do? i was thinking decline

thanks

arghhh, I’m in the same situation! maybe ask if you can do DB bench?

You can do chest work…You just want to make sure that you have twice as much back work.

it depends. id go with incline. but if you want to go with decline go ahead

just go light with normal bench press. Keep the elbows tucked in and don’t go all the way down if you’re worried about your shoulders, which I don’t think you need to be especially if you’re going light.

It shouldn’t be too hard to BS that one exercise.

I got no problem with any of them, they aren’t making you max out are they? if not just keep the weight down and go for speed vs heavy.

they are making us max twice a quarter. . . first quarter is 12 rep and 8 rep. second quarter is 5 rep and 8,5,3

Barbell flat bench press, while not optimal, isn’t going to kill you. Unless you’re training it hard in-season. If that’s the case, you need to talk to your teacher.

do you think it will harm my velocity/possibly cause a shoulder problem?

Off-season, no. In-season, it’s an issue, yes. I wouldn’t go so far as to say it will certainly cause a shoulder issue, but you shouldn’t be bench pressing heavy anywhere near your scheduled starts / relief appearances. (Benching after is OK, but not anytime < 36 hours before you pitch next.)

but won’t bench press decrease my velocity?

why would strengthening your internal rotators and elbow extensors decrease your velocity? The issue is more the question of is it “safe” on your shoulders/if you should go light/heavy and how often to bench press.

if you’re worried just go light as possible and be careful. Substitute DB benching or neutral grip pressing in your own workouts

I had a good conversation about bench press with a physical therapist I know, who had rotator cuff problems himself from heavy bench pressing. He said he read some research that showed incline bench allowed a shorter ROM while getting just as much muscle recruitment as flat benching.

He said if he had known that, he would have scrapped the flat bench for incline bench, and likely saved his shoulders in the process. This is secondary information, so I really can’t back this up except that the guy is very qualified and very current in research.

The Range of Motion idea makes sense, as the elbows don’t go much below the torso on incline bench, even with the dumbbells or bar touching the upper chest. If the arms going below the torso compromises the shoulder, then the incline bench might be a better alternative to flat or decline.