For pitchers who are looking to gain mph

Ok i started this because I see to many q’s on how can I increase my velocity SO… I’m going to tell you how to.

The 1st thing you want to do is

Find a good workout like Tuff Cuff that isn’t to easy and is functional

2nd thing…

Work on mechanics off a mound alot including everyday inseason even if it’s only 15 pitches. To get the muscle memory down.

3rd thing…

Video tape so that you can get analized by someone on letstalkpitching so you can get good solid mechanics

4th…

Move quicker to home plate. THe tempo should be quick and explosive not CALM AND CONTROLLEd which is the bad thing to do because to throw hard you must move quick.

5th

Just throw hard have the mind set off a closer and the mental abilty to just say ok I CAN THROW HARD. Trust in the pitches.

6th
THROW THE FASTBALL MORE

Nolan Ryan has said the reason he was so good with his fastball is because he threw it most of the time and used that as his 1# pitch. THe other pitches should be used to keep the hitter off balanced.

GO GET THEM.

LOL

please edit this, it gave me a good laugh though. Analyzed is past tense of analyze. “Analized” is something little boys should never speak to their parents about.

hah its like listening to tobias from arrested development.

I disagree with haveing a fast windup. I have a very slow wild up and i can throw into the low 70’s and i am only 14 years old. As long as you push hard with your back leg, then u can throw hard.

i agree with wildthing. i think the only time you should be quick to the plate is when you are pitching from the stretch. just look at Daisuke Matsuzaka. he isn’t very quick to the plate in the windup and still throws mid-high 90’s. oh btw matt, this bulletin gave me a good laugh haha :smiley:

WOW you are wrong about DICE-K as soon as he lets the foot down one milla second he explodes fast to the plate and hard.

Slow and control doesn’t make you throw hard in the long run. Look at small pitchers that use there bodys to pitch like tim lincecum and roy oswalt. THey are quick.

ALSO if you don’t move quick how can you rotate quick. It goes hand in hand the linear spped turns into rotational power meaning you throw harder.

I agree with RIstar here. You need to get good momentum going towards the plate. pitchers who windup slowly move quickly once they take their leg kick.

[quote=“RIstar”]WOW you are wrong about DICE-K as soon as he lets the foot down one milla second he explodes fast to the plate and hard.

Slow and control doesn’t make you throw hard in the long run. Look at small pitchers that use there bodys to pitch like tim lincecum and roy oswalt. THey are quick.

ALSO if you don’t move quick how can you rotate quick. It goes hand in hand the linear spped turns into rotational power meaning you throw harder.[/quote]

omg I actually agree with RIstar lol

when you said windup i thought you meant every part of the windup including the stepping behind the rubber. my bad RIstar.

First off, what hgappened to just thinking extra speed onto your fastball? I thought you got an extra 10 mph :roll: .

Anyways as you said the 3 keys to throwing harder are Strength (which you achieve through weight lifting and throwing), Mechanics (Video and analysis) and flexibility (static and dynamic stretching). I think I actually agree with almost everything you said here. :mrgreen:

I didn’t say strength I think what I meant to say was explosive power which is different. Explosive power is things like plyometrics and fast movements like sprints.

You need to train fast to move fast. saying that the best way to go is an explosive workout not a weight room gym workout. More functional mulit planer movement. Tuff Cuff is great for both ascpets of trainning.

The mental part is about thinking you can throw hard and then training the mind to say ok I’m going to do this and not hold my body back. I see alot of pitchers that are mentally weak and don’t think off throwing hard and don’t have the mind set I’m going to gain velocity and speed it up because they don’t trust in there body to throw hard.

As I’ve said before you need to be all around a good athlete–this includes weight room strength. You need a good base to work up from. You can’t be explosive if you are a scrawny weakling. There are tons of injuries when people are trying plyo’s and their bodies can’t handle it. Yes plyos are important but are not the only thing. Plus you can do fast twitch stuff in the weight room. Jon Doyle says that you should focus on bar speed and not weight, and I agree. Next time you do a squat–if you do them–try to go down slow then explode upwards. When ever I lift I usually do 50%-75% but explode as much as I can.

The problem with people like you and Dick Mills is that you’re too close minded. You both feel that there are only a few things that you must do to be a successful pitcher and if you don’t do them you won’t be a good pitcher. There’s more than one route to becomming a good pitcher.

I agree with RIstar here…Did Ijust say that?lol Anyway I think you should have a fast windup but a controlled wind up

There is no such thing as explosive power. It is defined as explosive STRENGTH, ie. the ability to apply muscular tension in an extremely short amount of time. Honestly, I dont even know why I try anymore. I have explained this to RIStar at least 10 times. Fast twitch muscle is fast twitch muscle. Muscle fibers do not care how you train, whether it be olympic lifts or plyometrics. Both are good ways to train explosive strength.

The problem with RIStar’s thinking is that a program with only explosive strength is imbalanced. You need to address the other areas of strength - maximum, speed, and strength endurance.

Im saying explosive because you want to train the body fast not slow. And to say the body doesn’t know the difference from an olympic lift and plyometric is crazy. The body does know the difference.

Also for the people that copy MLB pitchers they don’t do olympic lifts and things like that its a little different training.

So uh, RIstar, what happened to “I think I can!”?

[quote=“Matt666”]LOL

please edit this, it gave me a good laugh though. Analyzed is past tense of analyze. “Analized” is something little boys should never speak to their parents about.[/quote]

Not only that but the reason Nolan Ryan trusted his fastball so much is because he threw it over 100 MPH.

“Honestly, I dont even know why I try anymore”

Few people realize that Ristar is the reincarnation of Chris O’Leary… I suggest a research trip through our archieves and a comparison of both of their posts, you will find very close similarities in style and statement, I have no real quibble with both of their enthusiasm and love of the game and believe that a good dose of maturity will cure their propensity for unfounded statements, presented as facts…I of course tip my cap to you Kc as you attempt to shake your fist at the rising sun :lol: You might have better luck though if you attempt to get pigs to fly.
Please don’t take offense Ristar, both you and Chris have generated really interesting discussions on this board and as you mature in your knowledge and actually get older you’ll realize what I’m saying.

[quote=“RIstar”]Ok i started this because I see to many q’s on how can I increase my velocity SO… I’m going to tell you how to.

The 1st thing you want to do is

Find a good workout like Tuff Cuff that isn’t to easy and is functional

2nd thing…

Work on mechanics off a mound alot including everyday inseason even if it’s only 15 pitches. To get the muscle memory down.

3rd thing…

Video tape so that you can get analized by someone on letstalkpitching so you can get good solid mechanics

4th…

Move quicker to home plate. THe tempo should be quick and explosive not CALM AND CONTROLLEd which is the bad thing to do because to throw hard you must move quick.

5th

Just throw hard have the mind set off a closer and the mental abilty to just say ok I CAN THROW HARD. Trust in the pitches.

6th
THROW THE FASTBALL MORE

Nolan Ryan has said the reason he was so good with his fastball is because he threw it most of the time and used that as his 1# pitch. THe other pitches should be used to keep the hitter off balanced.

GO GET THEM.[/quote]

WHAT??? Total crap.

1. I have developed my own workout plan, which is nothing like Tuff Cuff and have benefited greatly.

2. Having good form help very little with velocity, and a ton with control. Most current and former hardballers (Dantrelle Willis, Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Rudy Seanez, and John Rocker) didn’t have great mechanics by any means. With the exception of Ryan, they’ve all struggled with control, but have great velocity. On the other hand, look at Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, and Tim Wakefield. Their mechanics are very good (not perfect) and they all have excellent control, but never break 92 MPH at best.

3. Tempo has nothing to do with velocity. Velocity is created in the last split second when the fast twitch muscle fibers take over. Your legs and hips explode, and the muscles in your forearm work with your lower body to create velocity. The tempo is simply about comfort, and having a consistent, repeatable tempo.

RIstar, I’m not trying to sound arrogant or like I know everything. Nothing personal. I just don’t think you’re giving very good advice.

You have alot to learn about with pitching.

Pitching is tempo that’s why someone slow can’t create rotational power. You need the speed of movement to get the fast twitch fibers to move faster in that split second. To say tempo doesn’t matter means you are not looking at the reason why nolan ryan and randy johnson throw so hard. They move quick. Perdo marteniez and Tim lincecum and Roy oswalt and Tim Hudson and Johan Santana they are all pretty small but they move quick so that they can explode quick.

You need to move quick to explode quick. If you move slow you will explode slowwer because were does that force get created the body twisting from speed of the body going sideway’s and using linear force and turning it into Rotational force.

Also Nolan Ryan, and Randy Johnson have VERY GOOD MECHANICS. Dontrel Willis does too. Might not seam like it but he has all the key parts to pitching.

Tuff Cuff is A MLB workout and anything else is good but it’s not a MLB workout that they use. Tuff Cuff is better then any workout someone could create it has every part. And is 52 week program so you do something every day.