? for npa guys

does anyone have information on their mechanical efficiency rating?
specifically, what are the 10 variables, how do they score it, what are the ranges?

thanks.

Come to Omaha tonight and find out for yourself! :wink:

I’m sure Lee or Roger can answer your question on here though.

Lee may know but I’m not up on that. However, I’ll be re-certifying in January and I imagine I’ll find out about it then.

I’m throwing this Q right back to RBish–by the end of today he’s officially got the latest information available from Tom House/Jim Evans/NPA.

wow that’s new stuff from the npa. be interesting to see where it leads.

The existence of the 10 variables for mechanical efficiency is mentioned in the latest book from House and the NPA, Arm Action, Arm Path, and the Perfect Pitch: Build a Million-Dollar Arm. So it’s not entirely a secret. But I don’t believe they explain what those variables are in the book.

This will definitely be on my list of questions for the January certification.

gotcha… maybe they’re the charts that have averages & standard deviations for glove to front foot distance, release point distance, stride length distance, … etc.

thanks a bunch.

[quote=“billyluke”]does anyone have information on their mechanical efficiency rating?
specifically, what are the 10 variables, how do they score it, what are the ranges?

thanks.[/quote]

Awesome weekend! My head is spinning. We were an hour and a half into the Friday session before Tom even stopped to take a breath. There is so much going on right now. Really cool time to be a pitching mechanics nerd.

Tom and Jamie didn’t get into this topic specifically but my belief would be that they are tying an efficiency rating to an athlete’s timing and sequencing. It was interesting to see the data graphed, it was altogether astonishing to see it in practice on Saturday and Sunday. I’m not sure I could tell you the 10 variables off hand but I don’t believe they are length/glove placement types of measurements. More like the timing of the end of forward movement (BIG key), the start/max hip rotation, start/max shoulder rotation, start/max external rotation, start/max internal rotation and the relationship (sequencing) of all of them.

I think you’ll have to go to them to get it done but from the way Tom is talking, it won’t be long before you will be able to send them a video and they will be to do motion analysis. Tom was saying this is where he is headed with recruiting. Film a kid pitching, go back and analyze his movements and decide if he’s a prospect. I told he’s taking all the fun out of it. haha

Roger, I’m pushing for going to the certification in January. If I do we’ll have to plan on meeting up.

Supposedly, the golf world has been able to do this for a while now. And House and the NPA have been collaborating with the Titleist Performance Institute and Dr. Greg Rose for some time now as well.

Would be my pleasure.