For Mid-november

Okay, after football and baseball season, i’ll be done in mid-November. I need help on what I should do.

Here’s my equipment: Smith machine and dumbells up to 35lbs. The smith machine also has the lat extension, and a leg curl/ext attached to my bench.

My goals are to lose some body fat (I’m assuming it’s around 10-12%) (I’m not really sure, just a guess???)

Get faster/quicker, more explosive power for hitting and pitching.

My ultimate goal is to make the HS team. I’m more excited for that than Christmas :smiley:

I’d also like to know what to eat, within a reasonable budget and w/o red meat.

Any help is much appreciated.

Alright, lemme see…

Workouts
You can go with 3 full body workouts a week, or 2 days upper- 2 days lower body split. The choice is up to you. I’ve never used a smith machine, so I cant help you there. Just try to hit the major muscle groups (same with the dumbbells of course). Try to keep the weight at 60-70% of your max and do 15-20 reps per set. 3-5 sets per muscle group should be enough, but feel free to experiment and try different things. Its not an exact science, but more how your body will react to training.

Bodyfat
If you are at 10-12, you dont need to lose anything. In fact, as long as you arent overly heavy, you shouldnt even factor fat loss into the equation. You are 14 and you need to grow. trying to lose fat is paradoxical to getting bigger, stronger and faster. You arent a bodybuilder, you are an athlete. 12-20% BF is normal for athletes.

Training
If you want to get stronger and more explosive, mix in plyometrics with your lifting. There are a ton of options for this type of training, but I would recommend that you check out Ross Enamait’s Stuff

. His book deals with explosive training without any equipment (or improvised stuff like sandbags, empty kegs, etc.) which would fit your situation. His books have programs already written out for you to follow, so I would definitely give them a look.

Nutrition
Lean meat is your best friend. Since you said no red meat, this means lots of chicken and fish. On a budget, you can buy frozen bags of chicken, then just cook 7+ at a time and you can eat for a week. They also sell bulk amounts of fish individually wrapped and frozen (check Sam’s Club or Costco). Both are cheap and both have tons of protein. Other than that, you probably already know what to eat. Eat your veggies, no junk food or fast food (well, every once in a while isnt bad. Just dont go nuts). Take a multivitamin every day, make sure you eat a good breakfast and eat continually through the day (5-7 meals).

You want to take in roughly 2500-3000 calories a day in order to fuel your workouts, as well as your growth. Of that you will want about 50% carbohydrates, 30% proteins, and 20% fats. Those are fairly generic numbers, try it out and see what works.

Last thing…
Just remember that this shoud not make you miserable. If you are having a hard time with something, change it to fit you. A lot of people start out really gung ho with a fitness routine, only to fade out after a couple weeks. Add some elements of fun to your workouts. Invite some friends to workout with you and make it semi-competitive. Anything that will prevent it from being boring and overly difficult.

Good Luck

thanks.

do you happen to know any rotator cuff excercises?

I think Steven has some on the site somewhere…

Edit: found it! Rotator Cuff Exercises - Steven Ellis
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts/5lb_weight_program.swf

Kc86 pretty much hit it on the head!
I remeber a few months back i was waking up at 5:30 am, went for a 4.5km run, 4km row (on the gym equipment) then i would go to school, weight lift in the arvo, then go to baseball training until10:30pm. I ended up overtraining and being very tired, getting angry for no reason, and unable to concentrate/focus. I was trying to do the best when i was doing to much. I learnt about overtraining the hard way!

The only things i would change would be 2500-3000 is too many calories for a 14year old!

I would do 2 full body workouts/week, your are only young and still growing!

Also if you can, try to do some olympic lifts, for power.

Bench, squat, deadlift should be your main lift + shoulder maintanence. Make sure you learn technique before you add weight.

IMO

thanks, i appreciate the replies

Here’s what I was planning…

MWF- Bench(regular and DB), shoulders, triceps, lats, biceps, and just a little forearm work.

Tues-Thurs-Saturday- Squats, DB lunges, toe raises (undecided on leg curls/ext)

And I’ll throw in abs and running in during the week, that’s just the main concept. Also plan on picking up Protein supplements and a multi-vitamin.

I do more cardio than actuall weight lifting. I run a mile a day and work my lower body 2 times a week Tuesday and Thursdays. I eat like a normal person does, a ocasional salad,meats "hamburgers steak, chicken ect. Vegtables too. Also tons of WATER. Stay away from junkfoods they will kill you in your phisical shape. I do alot of throwing so I don’t have time to work out like crazy. I work on throwing certain pitches and my mechanics. I am a junior and I throw 80-85mph now and I hope to be throwing 83-87 by season. Goodluck and remember don’t think of yourself as a body builder on the mound, just muscular and fit like a rubber band. I bet most body builders can’t throw any faster than most of the average pitchers out there in highschool and college.

If your not gaining weight; 2500-3000 is definately NOT to many calories. At 15 I was taking in a bit over 3000 and couldn’t gain any weight, cut that lower and I would have had no energy.

I also totally disagree with cardio in baseball.

In a full game a pitcher is actually exerting himself for under 15 minutes. And that’s over a 2+ hour span. Learn to be powerful through weight trainging and sprints. Most pitchers still run poles after pitching, which is fine, but it distance should never be a main part of training.

I already mentioned that I do leg training also. And without cardio you have no stamina. Have you ever pitched a full game? Cardio helps you maintain your same pitch speed throughout the whole game. I do leg workouts because thats where the majority of a pitchers power comes from, “muscle wise” thats aside from mechanics and other things. I hit 80-85mph and thats good enough for me right now but I’d like to hit 83-87mpg by the time the season gets here. Too much muscle and you will tire easily. If weight lifting was the awnser then all MLB pitchers would look loik body builders. You muscles can also get too strong for your tendons and it can lead to tears an surgeries. I believe in high reps and low weight not too much strenght traning. Look at Mariano Rivera, he is skinny and throws upper 90’s. Get me a body builder and have him pitch as many years as Rivera, and see how many sugeries he has. Also you would have alot more pitchers probably taking steriods to get big if that was the solution to gaining velocity.

This is the issue. Weightlifting and Bodybuilding, can be set totally apart.

There’s plenty of body builders that can’t move hardly any weight for their comparative mass.

In reality bodybuilders use a higher rep, lower weight style.

The best hypertrophy is between 8-12 reps. The best power building is 6 reps or less.

You say Mo Rivera throws 90’s and he’s skinny.

How bout an olympic lifter that weights 150lbs, and can put 400 pounds in the air over his head, starting it from the floor?
Here’s a video to illustrate explosiveness

The man weighs 169.4 lbs, he snatched 379.5 lbs.

Cardio, translates ZERO to PITCHING STAMINA!

Cardio stimulates type I muscle fibers. The energy conversion process is totally different.

Anaerobic activity (Type II fiber) produces approximately 2 ATP
Oxidative respiration (Type I fiber) produces upwards of 30 ATP

To use oxidative respiration you must be exerting yourself continuously for approxiately 12 seconds.

If your exerting yourself for more than a few seconds a pitch your doing something wrong.

The goal is to create more Type II fiber, or for your Type II fiber to have the ability to do the same task with more power.

Why is it necessary to train your body to better do a procces that is almost NEVER used in baseball.

Training type one fiber will not ever translate to baseball.

You need to understand bodybuilding is really it’s own sport/event

Training for a power sport and bodybuilding are on opposite ends of the weight lifting spectrum.
The MOST EXPLOSIVE ATHLETES IN THE WORLD (yes I did say that)
ARE infact Olympic Lifters. They can burst out of a sprint with the olympic sprinters, even though they do not train for that.

If you train properly through a full range of motion, you should not have problems with tendons being weak. I am actually more flexible, and feel more resilient than before I started lifting.

Injuries are results of poorly designed training programs, and poor understanding of what to do in the weight room. I say this after experiencing basketball conditioning in which kids have no idea what they are doing in reality.

Actually, according to reports the number of pitchers taking steroids appeared to be fairly high, essentially I had just read that it was much higher than that one would expect, although I didn’t see a definitive number.

Mr. Tom House took steroids, he pitched, lol.

-End of steroids comments (I’m not promoting steroids in any way)

The type of athlete is different from one 30 years ago, or even 10.
It’s changing man, if you choose not to change to what is realized as effective trainging you may just be left behind.

Sorry to shoot so straight forward, but that’s my opinion

I’m excited to see what Steve will say training wise in his new book.
Unfortunately I don’t believe he has released it yet.

–One more though, lol.

Weight training is not the ANSWER to gaining velocity. It is a part of a total offseason program. Optimizing your weight training and lifting the proper, lifts, sets, reps will only maximize your gains.
There’s way more guys throwing 90+ now, so obviously there has been changes in training…

Wow, centerfield bustin’ out the factoids. I agree that discerning between bodybuilding and weight training is important. It is also important to remember that low weight high sets wont give you an overly powerful lower body. Wont make you explosive, either.

Cardio is good for what it is worth- it raises your cardiovascular fitness- and it will help you with athleticism in general. But cardio and pitching are not exclusive. Pitching is a explosive action which uses many different muscle groups. Unless you are going max effort (sprints or plyo’s) then you wont help your pitching velocity.

Oh yeah, and btw, Clemens is a good example of a pitcher that is quite muscular and extremely strong.

aight…

Is the lifting good or should I add anything?

I would add some rotational stuff, like woodchoppers (I think that is the main name, they have others though) from high and low cable machines. For your legs, I would go with front and back squats, Romanian Deadlifts, hang cleans (basically any variation of cleans would help), calf raises, and lunges.

Mix in some medicine ball stuff and I think you are set for the time being.

[quote=“NC15”]thanks.

do you happen to know any rotator cuff excercises?[/quote]i know a lot of colleges use like the tube exercises to strenthen those areas