Football Style change up

Looking for some info on this style pitch. Seems like a good alternative to teaching breaking balls to 12-14 yr old players. Havent found much info on the affects it could have on younger arms. Any info is greatly appreciated.

I’ve heard of a football style curve but not a football style change-up. The idea behind a football style curve is that the hand angle (i.e. hand on the side of the ball) is set before the arm starts forward and remains constant in that angle until ball release. That is the preferable way to throw the curve. But, while it’s better than twisting as the arm accelerates, it’s still a little harder on the arm than a fastball. That’s why throwing the curve with proper technique is only part of the equation. The other part is to limit the number thrown.

You are correct it is a football style curve. I have seen alot of teams using it instead of the change up. I think we will stick with 2 seam, 4 seam, and palmball for a couple more years. I really dont want any of our boys to put any unneeded stress on there arms. Thanks for the reply.

My son is 12, when he was 10 his travel ball coach tried to teach all of his pitchers that football curve. I refused to let my son throw it, his pitching coach refused to let him throw it, and most importantly HE refused to throw it.
Our refusal led to conflicts and my son left the team. In the two years since then he has started against and has yet to lose to that coaches’ team, 8 starts.
He overmatched their hitters with a 4 seam FB, 2 seam FB, circle Change, and recently a 2 seam Sinker. No football curve or any other curve.

It’s like those “coaches” who persist in trying to teach all their pitchers to throw over the top and who don’t stop to think that for some of the guys this delivery is not a natural one, and who have not only a cow but a whole herd of them when they meet with resistance. Good for the kid, leaving the team and hooking up with another one with a coach, manager, what have you, who knows which end is up!
Even some major leaguers make that mistake. Jim Turner had been with the Yankees as pitcher and pitching coach, and he went to Cincinnati in 1959, and one thing he did was insist that every one of the pitchers had to learn the slow curve. Now, the slow curve is a very nice pitch and can be very effective, but Turner wanted them to practice it all the time, even in the middle of a game when they were getting belted from here to Timbuktu and back! Kind of dumb, I’d say. :roll:
Anyway, I’m glad that the kid is doing all right with the repertoire he has and is winning games with it. More power to him.

Zita,
Thanks for the support. He is, in fact, doing very well and is highly sought after.
His pitching coach just started working with him on separating his fingers to the seams for what appears so far to be a nasty sinking fastball.