following A College Camp

After a camp, what happens?
If the college is interested do they talk to you. If you are going to a camp were there are players from the ages 15-21. How can you make them insterested in you if your only 15? You know? how will you know if they like what they see. What happens after they talk to you? Do they keep contact with you?
Please tell me what happens and give me some advice
It would really help.

My experience King, is with Flagler College and The University of North Florida. During camp, the the guys are given a number (Usually the assistant in charge of recruiting). What they are supposed to do is call and discuss the camp, the coaches notes and recommendations and any thing else you can cram into the conversation like your Grades and the plan you have for your future. The grades are the gatekeeper, so you will always and I mean always be asked about your grades (My son is on a full ride to a State College, when I speak to Dusty Rhoades at UNF, his very first question to me always and I mean I speak to the guy 3 to 5 times a year for over a decade now, is how are Andys grades…hint GRADES are important…
As a 15 year old you are considered a prospect and the school has to record your visit (Basically any observations they made and your personal information). You may also make aquaintance of other coaches who are there to assist with the event. These are just as valuable contacts and if they watched you, you need to follow up with a call to them (So you walk up to them, you introduce yourself and ask if they mind if you call them…if you are shy…tough…overcome it, look the man in the eye and ask him for his information… Another example of this is my son was at a UNF camp as a freshman and his current coach was there assisting the clinic, he remembered his hook 8) so it happens in real life and so when at a clinic or camp, pay attention, ask questions…hustle every chance you get. Look if anything (And it is Something) you represent your family as an intelligent, respectfull, hardworker and you’ll walk away with your head high and they will remember you.

This is an after thought but notice I didn’t mention that “they” were going to “do” anything…it is up to you.

Thank you JD,
yes i am a little shy…but i can overcome it…how can i introduce myself to the coach?
I have good grades i dont think that is a factor. Also what do you call them about? Can you email?

Walk up and say Hi coach my name is King, I play for Blah blah and I’m interested in talking about your program and what I might bring to it…or something like that…

How you performed, and advice they have, if they might be interested in keeping touch. Tell them how much you appreciated their deal and want to be associated with that sort of quality. Things like that, don’t be a butt kisser but talk like you do here, ask questions, pay attention, be yourself.

If that is the method they prefer you contact them…absolutely. It is best to get face time (In person), then ear time (On the phone) and finally eye time (E-mail…remember, you are a del button away from being forgotten even by mistake). The point is being remembered…easy to forget e-mail…you cannot imagine how much the get…heck how much I get…figure if I get over a thousand in a week how many they get…that is why I don’t recommend sending a full video packet unless they ask for it.

King–

jd is giving you the truth, the whole truth, and nuthin’ but the truth right here.

I’ll only add one more general thought to this thread–in my opinion, it can be really good for you to be among the youngest prospects at a college camp. That alone may capture the interest of some coaches who take a long-term view of the recruiting process. So, even if you are not so obviously projectable that you get recruited by the school of your choice at age 15 (this would be extremely rare), you have a few more years to continue showing up at these camps. Believe me, a track record of several good exposures at prospect camps can do nothing but help you.

As one of the youngest prospects at a college prospect camp you get the following benefits (and they are substantial):

1. You get valuable personal experience with the process and you get early exposure as a young guy who has the confidence to compete against older guys.

2. Performance expectations should not create any overwhelming pressure at your age…you will not be expected to perform as well as the older guys at the camp–anything that you do well will be considered as pure upside.

3. If you continue to go to the same college camp(s) over the next couple of years, the coaches are going to get to know you and they will track your progress.

You really can’t lose anything by doing this.

Scouts can’t keep in contact with you its illegal but you can always contact them through via email or phone calls. note- If you call and they don’t answer they can not call you back. Its kinda messed up but its the truth.

Ok thanks guys, what is the best way to get most noticed?
DOes it help if you have a player you know that used to play in that college in a way of exposure? Because that former player is hoking me up with a free camp, all i have to pay for i think is the plane ticket. I think he already told the coaches about me. As i found out today.

The best way(s) to get noticed (in the way you want to be noticed):

(1) Always hustle

(2) Do the right thing even when you think no one is looking

(3) Be confident but not cocky and full of brag

(4) As per jd’s advice, don’t be shy–look people in the eye, shake their hand, and be clear and truthful with them about your goals

(5) If something happens to you that would make 9 out of 10 people get visibly upset, whine, and create excuses…don’t do any of those things.

(6) You know that former player who helped you get into the camp for free? You don’t need to talk about him unless one of the coaches mentions him first and seems to want to shoot the breeze with you. Remember, your friend is not the prospect–you are. If you are a good prospect for that college your performance will speak for itself. If you are not a good prospect for that college, no amount of claims to a special “connection” will change that for the better. If the former player has been a mentor for you, by all means honor that special relationship if you are asked about it. But let it go if no one asks you.

Amen brother Flip,
I would add only; Be you…the pitcher, not David Price or Mark Prior or Julio Iglacious. Remember the bump is home everywhere, if you need to do some landscaping before your pen, do it. I see guys every single time (And I don’t even want to tell you how many camps and clinics I’ve attended…just figure…nah I want to look like I have some life :oops:) looking to have their peak velocity day and end up disappointed in their own performance. When you loosen up work on calming down and relaxing…then focus on what you do…just you and the catcher.

I miss Coach Baker’s contributions to the LTP forum–he could’ve written a book on this subject.

jd, I hope King thinks about your advice carefully. You have provided quite a few roadmaps from your son’s experiences that have really helped my young son as he navigates the same baseball landscape, about 4 or 5 years behind Andy.

:applause:

Great posts from jd and la!

I can’t add much but answer “Yes” or “Yes sir” instead of “yeah”. How you are perceived and treated is affected by what you say and how you say it. Always show respect.

Thanks guys, for all your advice.
Really…I will act like a proffesional confident baseball player.

college coaches cannot contact you which includes calling you until your junior year of high school. all they can do is put you on the follow list. the only contact they can initiate is a questionnaire. if you get a questionnaire that is the best you can do until you are a junior. they can talk to you personnally when you are at a camp or showcase but that is it. if you make an impression they will make sure they speak to you during the camp or showcase.

you may contact them. if you call and they take your call, that is good, because you are on their list or they recognize your name. if they do not take your call, you are most likely not on their prospect list.

don’t feel bad if you are not on everyone’s list. my son has not been contacted by 3 of the 4 schools he is interested in, but if it is before your jr year, not everyone will spend time on you. when you call them, you need to know who the recruiter is and talk to them. ask them if you can speak with them if you come to a game. we’re checking right now if we can take the recruiter to dinner if we pay, but haven’t got the answer yet. we asked to take a private lesson with him but they can’t do that.

the 2 most important things to attend if you are trying to reach division 1 are the area code tryouts and invitation only camps that colleges have. the invitation only camps are where they get really serious and not just making money (which is what most camps are) the perfect game tournaments are expensive but tha is the other option if you don’t make area codes or the invitation only camps (usually held in the late summer or early fall.

if you get an official visit or wprkout, ask for a critique and be sure to ask what they would change if you play for them. you don’t want to play for someone who doesn’t mach up philosophically.

good luck and try to enjoy it. it is nerve-wracking. hope this helps