Flyout% Vs. Groundout%

Is it preferable to get groundball outs or flyouts?

I’ve always thought a a pitcher with more flyouts tends to have a high strikeout and HR rate, whereas a groundball pitcher has a lower HR rate and lower strikeout rate.

It ain’t necessarily so…
It’s true that a pitcher who gets a lot of groundball outs gives up fewer home runs. But very often he will give up a lot of hits. On the other hand, a strikeout pitcher gets more fly-ball outs—but he doesn’t necessarily give up a lot of home runs. A lot depends on the ballpark and the wind conditions . And even more depends on the pitcher—what kind of stuff he has, how it’s working, how well he knows the hitters. So you take two pitchers—one is a fireballer, the other a finesse pitcher—and you’re likely to get any combination of those factors described above. 8)

Big leaguers talk about, “Getting the air out of the ball”, as a hitter, since it is easier to catch a fly ball vs hard grounder. So pitchers would I assume want fly balls.

I’d also be interested in this stat, but actually tend to prefer groundballs to flyballs.

As a pitcher, however, I was going for the K. As a coach, now, I want to see those grounders, especially as they are used to set up the double play.:slight_smile:

Steve, I remember something Ed Lopat told me once, something I would never forget in a million years. He said I was a strikeout pitcher, and that I had a very nasty slider and was getting the batters out with it. He also said I was a pitcher who could get the ground ball outs. Very few fly balls; I recall telling him that my outfielders were just standing around with practically nothing to do—and that we might as well put out a barbecue grill for them! I guess it all had to do with what I was doing with my stuff. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]I’d also be interested in this stat, but actually tend to prefer groundballs to flyballs.

As a pitcher, however, I was going for the K. As a coach, now, I want to see those grounders, especially as they are used to set up the double play.:-)[/quote]

My change-up helped me last night - 4 or 5 double plays - most coming off a change up or 2 seam fastball. I would rather have a ground ball then a pop-up.

I would much rather get ground balls than fly balls, mostly because you get more double-plays with grounders than flys. You also rarely get hurt by a ground ball that gets through the infield, but a fly ball that gets passed the OF could result in a double or triple and a rally.

You also have to be 100 sure of your infielders and their ability to turn the double play, and you have to be sure that if one misses the ball the other can cover. I have seen many instances in which a grounder gets by the shortstop, but the ever-alert second baseman (like Robinson Cano) gets to it, steps on the bag and fires to first to complete the double play. With infielders like that you cut down on the possibility of the “seeing’eye” single that gets past the infield. And that is why it’s so important that the team have regular infield practice; that can often be the difference between getting out of the inning unscored on and having the game blow wide open…not to mention the good old PFP. 8)