Flying open with my glove

that is said to decrease shoulder rotation so anyone know how to fix that?

If you’re flying open, then you’ve got a timing problem. One option is to get your hips going sooner so that you get into foot strike faster. This will give you less time to over-rotate. Another option is to take your knee lift back towards 2B a bit more. This should cause you to be more squared up at release.

Try keeping your nose over your belly button this should keep you from flying open

Another thing you have to watch out for: if your glove flies open that is one way you might be telegraphing your pitches, giving a runner on second a good look at your grip so he can relay to the batter what’s coming. Or an opposing coach, for that matter.

The most common reason for this that I see is an uncontrolled giove side. One of my pet peeves is the use of the cue “point your glove at the target” and another is “pull the glove back to fuel shoulder rotation”. Many sweep the glove across in front with a straight arm. Now, Randy Johnson does that but it’s “contrlled” within a scap loading process that’s equal and opposite, maintaining balance about the spine.

So, check out your glove side arm action with video and check out the pros as to how they do it.

I completely agree with DM–‘flying open’ is often simply a buzz phrase for ‘lack of control on the glove side’.

As his post suggests, the best pitchers control their glove side in a very important way: At footstrike, the glove side begins to swivel into place out in front, somewhere over the stride foot, and stabilizes there as the torso comes forward to meet the glove. There are certainly many superficial stylistic differences between pitchers, but stabilizing the glove and bringing the torso forward to meet the glove are common features of most great deliveries.

Credit where it’s due: I first learned of this from Tom House’s motion analysis research work. DM’s independent confirmation of these ideas shows a great deal of insight on his part, IMO.

Just a lucky guess but thanks for the kind words.

“Just a lucky guess…”

----I very seriously doubt that.