Flexibility

What can I do to get my body to become more flexible? What kind of exercises ect. do this?

I’m not sure, I guess stretching :?

I think it’s partially genetics, I’m naturally stretchy, I’m double jointed all over.

Sit and reach = 7.5 inches.

After you wake up and before you go to bed, stretch your major muscle groups. Also, after you work out (strength training or pitching) stretch. The biggest obstacle is just making stretching a part of your daily routine.

I agree with KC and I’ll add that yoga and pilates are two of the best things you can do as a pitcher. Withough question. It’s not just about flexible hamstrings or quads, you need a flexible core.

Oh definitely. Years ago, before I went to a hockey camp where they required everybody to do these stretching activities about a month or so before camp started. It was very helpful and I was a lot more flexible but it was a chore.

I’ve never really been all that flexible. I’m mostly legs so I naturally sucked at the sit and reach. Recently, I’ve wanted to get back into stretching on more of a daily basis.

Time to dig up that old stretching sheet.

Lifting through a full range of motion all helps, I can drop straight into a medium width full squat cold. Most the population including athletes can’t do one in their most flexible moments.

Stretch the hipflexors, and stretch them some more. Everyone’s are way to tight. Sitting in a chair shortens them and causes them to be excessively tight. On the flip side, when they shorten this results in the hamstrings being pulled to much, thus the high frequency of hami-pulls.

I stretch as part of my prebed routine. I am ready for sleep after a good stretching session.

This article might be of interest to you guys:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1109501

We don’t do much static stretching at all. Whenever possible, we stick with mobilizations - even with respect to the posterior capsule. I’d much rather get ten 2-second mobilizations than a 20-second static stretch: much better carryover to the real world of athletics.

[quote=“Eric Cressey”]
We don’t do much static stretching at all. Whenever possible, we stick with mobilizations - even with respect to the posterior capsule. [/quote]

What mobility stuff would you recommend for the posterior capsule beyond something like the sleeper stretch?

By the way, thanks for posting on the boards, your blog, especially the baseball stuff is an awesome read. And well t-nation is the forever awesome source of information.

We use the sleeper stretch, but with oscillations instead of static holds.

Also, recent research has shown that the cross-body stretch is superior for improving internal rotation ROM when compared to the sleeper stretch. Here’s one “spin” we’ve put on it.

[quote=“Eric Cressey”]We use the sleeper stretch, but with oscillations instead of static holds.

Also, recent research has shown that the cross-body stretch is superior for improving internal rotation ROM when compared to the sleeper stretch. Here’s one “spin” we’ve put on it.

I gave that a try last night and really liked it. I’ll be adding that to the regular routine. Thanks Eric!

the best stretching stuff i’ve seen and used is the pavel tsatsoulene relax into stretch program. his flexibiility and stretching program is incredible. he emphasizes contract/release and a painful but effective clasp knife technique if needed.

his website is dragon door if you want to look around.