Flatground pitching?

Those are new ones on me! What are the theories behind those statements?

I can guess why people would believe they’d throw harder, but I haven’t got a clue why the CU would become so much better.

Because if you practice your change-up on flat groud it forces you to get on top of the pitch, making you locate the change-up down in the zone. hanging change ups are no good! in turn when you get on the mound, because of the down hill angle to the plate all of the pitchs you were practicing on flat ground will be located lower. and further down in the zone

flat ground is GREAT for working on your mechanics. Field players have the luxury of taking ground balls and BP every day with out doing damage to their body. Pitchers physically can’t throw off a mound everyday. I recommend throwing a flat ground almost everyday you have a catch. Flat ground is very low stress on the arm, helps you repeat your delivery, and helps you get a better feel for all of your pitches. Obviously this isn’t a replacement for throwing bullpens and off the mound in a real game but its the next best thing to work on your mechanics, location, and movement of all your pitches.

I’m sorry, but I don’t understand how having a 1” per foot slope is something that makes you “get on top” of a CU. What’s so different that the relation of the hand on the ball changes? And how would that change the release point?

I don’t know about that. I know people think the steeper the slope the lower the pitch will be, but to tell the truth, I find just the opposite to be true in practice. At least in my experience.

The reason I say that, is because I was a real stickler for a properly set up mound as my boy was going through his pitching career. I paid a lot of attention to and usually set the game mounds he pitched on as a member of a team, and I paid a lot of attention to how our pitchers did when they had to pitch off of mounds that were improperly maintained, or where some moron coach purposely made the mound look like a ski slope to give his pitchers some advantage.

I didn’t write anything down, but I know there were many times I’d see a mound with a steep slope, and predict our guys would be having trouble getting the ball down. As I remember, that came true much more often than not.

As I said, I don’t know for sure what a scientific study would show, but I’ll say this. If what you say is true, it wouldn’t be a secret very long, and we’d be seeing guru after guru advocating not just throwing on flat ground, but throwing on up-slopes to improve their pitches and location.

What you’re saying about stress is in direct opposition to what Dr. Fleisig had to say in the link to the ASMI site. I’m sorry, but if I had to believe someone about stress on a pitching arm, I have to go with the science.

Of course if you don’t have a mound or any kind of sloped surface available, ya gotta go with what you have. But I’ll tell ya, an 8.3% slope ain’t a lot. Our driveway ended up being almost exactly that slope, so that’s where my boy practiced when he was young.

re: “What you’re saying about stress is in direct opposition to what Dr. Fleisig had to say in the link to the ASMI site.”

----------What Fleisig actually had to say, in response to a quote you provided him that had more than one point in it, was: He is not currently at liberty to discuss his own results because he has submitted a related manuscript that is currently under peer review. He also said that his results may not support the quoted information. Whether that means all of it, part of it, or whether his results might be diametrically opposed to everything included in the quote, I think we’ll have to wait and see.

ASMI tends to focus its attention on the muscle groups, tendons, and joints that suffer acceleration-related stresses leading up to the release point. When throwing downhill on a sloped mound, the acceleration into release point is significantly aided by gravity. Thus, it is the fast deceleration phase after ball release that incurs higher stresses on a mound than flat-ground.

The decelerator muscle groups are obviously different from the accelerator muscle groups and that is where you have to look for the stress difference between flat-ground and mound throwing.

If pitchers threw uphill on a sloped mound, the situation would be reversed…that is, the accelerator muscle groups would have to work harder to oppose the gravitational force and the decelerators would catch a break after the ball was released.

Actually, flat ground throwing is not good for you if you are a pitcher.
Why? When throwing on a level surface, the stride is shortened, hereby putting more stress on the throwing arm to produce velocity.
As for keeping the elbow up when pitching, the elbow should be at about shoulder height.
Why? Having the elbow above the shoulder puts extreme stress on the shoulder-often causing shoulder injuries, and having the elbow below the shoulder reduces velocity.
Also- long toss does not help a pitcher gain velocity.
Why? Long toss forces a pitcher to change his release point.
When throwing long toss, a pitcher releases the ball farther back than when throwing to a shorter distance. Long toss should be used to gain stamina, not velocity.