Fixing inverted W

I have had a few arm injuries over the last year and I think it is in large part due to my inverted W. I recently started working with a pitching “guru” who said I was hopeless after 2 very expensive lessons so another part of my would like to prove this person wrong and fix this issue. If anyone could give me any drills to work on this or any other mechanical issues you see it would be very helpful. I have been doing steves full rom drill which I have found helpful for playing catch although I feel like my arm action goes back to normal (“inverted W”) once I get into my motion so maybe some more active drills would be useful to get a bit of the feeling of pitching.
Here is a video of me pitching hopefully ill have another one up later today
Mechanics

Please explain the nature of your injuries.

partial ucl tear last summer (i had a lower arm slot so I became more over the top and dropped slider) then this year I had biceps tendinitis that lead into humerus stress reaction.

Hey trebeck, I feel your pain. I used to throw with a bit of an inverted W myself, fortunately I didn’t suffer any injuries. One thing I did wrong in trying to fix my inverted w was trying to change my arm action and use connection balls to create muscle memory. I’ve learned since then that the inverted w is directly related to a lower half mechanical problem and that your arm is at the mercy of your hips. Look for a pitching coach who can help you refine your lower half mechanics and get your legs working the correct way. One drill I like to use is called showing the sole. When you step and throw, try to show the sole of your lead leg foot to the batter ( just slightly, not over exaggerated) as long as you can and then let that foot plant flat almost thinking toe first. Don’t let your heel strike and then your toe, as this could be causing your problem. This will keep your lower half close and cause your hips to rotate much quicker and later and should keep your arm elbow from getting above your shoulder. Again, look for a coach who can help with your lower half, and once you fix any problems with that, your inverted w will more than likely fix itself.

thanks for the advice. I have poor mobility in my back hip which I think leads to me jumping a bit and causes me to shoot my elbows up so I definitely agree it is partially a lower half issue but even when I play catch my elbow still wants to get above shoulder before I throw so I think there is some issues with actual arm path as well.

First of all no one is hopeless. We had a kid come in here two years ago as a senior in HS throwing 66-698MPH and now he’s in college throwing 86/87. After watching your video and putting it in slow motion here are my thoughts. Your inverted W is definitely an issue. Not everyone that thinks they have it actually does but yours is pretty prevalent. There is a mechanical pause at the top when your scaps pinch and the upward motion of the elbow creates an impingement in the shoulder. The pause creates a break in the kinetic chain, the upward elbow puts the arm in an awkward position to throw and places you at risk. Your elbow also travels in a superior motion (elevates towards the sky) rather than traveling forward and delivering the energy towards home. You probably should have stuck to the lower arm slot but it’s hard to say without seeing those mechanics. At the very least it would take the arm directly towards home providing a better transference of energy. You should go get an FMS screen and ROM screen to determine what your body needs to be physically more prepared and healthier to throw first. Then during the fall focus on changing the throwing patterns. Hope this helps!

The inverted W was worse with side arm, Sean Harrington Pitching Analysis v2.0
I definitely agree that my W creates a bit of a timing issue and leads to almost a pause then jump in my delivery. As far as ROM I have hyper mobility in my shoulder/shoulder girdle that allows my elbows to raise so high above my shoulder. I used to have very poor posture and thurasic spine mobility however over the last year I have worked a lot on this but they are still not where they need to be. One other issue that my chiropractor pointed out is my right shoulder sits higher up then my left shoulder and I think this leads to me diving in a bit with that right shoulder which compromises my posture and allows for inverted W.
I’m not quite sure what you mean that my elbow travels in a superior motion and what would you do to fix this.

Hey man, I am hurting for you. TJ survivor my self also my arm wasn’t up on time. My advice to you is to try to eliminate such big “Scap Load” or maybe get rid of it all together. Also, just lead your motion with your hips moving FAST. Lantz Wheeler gave this idea to me and I absolutely 100% agree with it. Make your hips move fast and efficiently and your arm will have no other choice but to catch up in order to throw the ball. Let the bottom deliver the top. It should clean you up a little bit. Heres some articles you might find helpful; enter link description here

Best of luck my man. Prove the “GURU” wrong.

It is quite common for a pitcher’s throwing shoulder to hang lower than his glove side shoulder. I don’t think that is necessarily an issue.

I am a firm believer that the way you implement arm motion changes is not by direct manipulation of the arm but by changing other things which, in turn, affect the timing available to the arm. Speeding up the lower half certainly has the potential to cause the arm to take a shorter path.

I really appreciate all the info guys, I feel like I have a lot of tools to go at this problem. I definitely have some back leg hip mobility issues that I think leads to a bit of a jump in my drive that leads to my shoulders and arms jumping a bit. I feel like it’s getting better I’ll post some video later. I plan on working leg drive and mobility and seeing what work I can on arm path.