First tournament

Nolan pitched the semi-final game in the tourney against the host team. He went 4 2/3, 4k’s, 4 hits, 1 HBP, 98 pitches. Yeah, you heard right. 98. Ump started squeezing and strike three became ball 1, 2, 3, and 4. Happened 3 times in the 4th inning where he got two strikes on the guy and then got nothing called his way for the rest of the AB. Homer ump (tournament host’s son) was trying to get him pulled. He allowed 3 runs, only one was earned. But 98 pitches. In windy, rainy, 40 degree weather. Developed a blister on his middle finger (first time ever) and complained of numbness in his index and middle fingers on the throwing hand. Altogether, I’m not too happy with this weekend’s events.

Comments?

The Hose

wrong forum

If the only comment I get is “wrong forum”, I doubt very m uch if it would be worthwhile reposting it 8)

How did he feel about it?
Ya know I’m just about to post on my log…this is a strange ironic thing. Last week Hose my son left me in the position of posting about a performance that in the least left me scratching my head…1st game pre-season tourny, he gives up 4 over 4 including a dinger…then k’d the side like it was t-ball, he was non-chalant, he was dismissive, his mound prescence was crap (Til he k’d those last 3).
It made me crazy! My thoughts were “Well there goes pre-season All-District”, “is he hurt”? Was it about his girlfriend (Who passed away in December)? Oh my God the worlds ending…All this pessimist nonsense that is opposite of my normal personality…Even to the point of commenting about it in a PM to Coach Baker (We hardly ever talk about anything but helping other kids so it likely surprised him a nudge…though he’s pretty much seen it all and I could hear the wink :wink: , when he read it).
All that rambling to get to this point, Hose, we talked, I looked at him in the eye and he told me he had it, just a blip, a pre-season adjust (Jr catcher, straightening out a coach who thinks pitching is an after thought…this was key…he wasn’t happy about the sequence and the approach, so he had to get to communication with both). So I’ve been thinking…over the past week…what the hell? I’ve trained him, let others who are far better at it than me train him…he lives and loves his sport…(His conditioning is impeccable, he’s an outstanding fielder…loves talking strategy…) What would my position be on another kid who exhibited that?
I’d trust em…thats what I’d do. And that my friend is my advice to you…trust your son, he’s withstood injury, perceviered through re-hab, obviously hes worked hard this spring and it looks like he’s shown success and heat…I think as a parent it is the hardest thing we can do, but is most necessary. Nolan is at a point, he’s stepping past you and putting down his marker in the game of life…
Go Get em Kid! :goteam:

Some times it takes a minute to think about it all when we’re talkin hopes and dreams Hose…Speaking for me I always want to hear about the things goin on and I don’t care what forum you write on.

You know I love and respect you guys…and I’m not familiar with the situation…but why was he allowed to throw so many pitches this early in the year ?

I agree way lotta pitches in that weather. What did Nolan think?

You and I may be far apart geographically (I’m in Washington State) but we’re on the same page here. He spoke with his coaches about the situation, i.e., 98 pitches… brought it up himself, for which I am proud of him…and was reassured that it was a mistake and would not happen again.

I’ve spent time with his coaches, and I like them a lot. Very good baseball brains, good with the kids, good teachers. I also know that coaches at every level, and especially at the elite levels, want to win badly…and that’s absolutely essential in a coach in my opinion. My concern is that Nolan is a machine and has typically thrown a lot of innings, and tends to throw a lot of pitches, too (he’s a power pitcher); young coaches may have the best of intentions, but like in this case, fail to make the move in a timely manner.

Later in the season, when weather is warm and arm is loose and had plenty of work, going 5 to 7 innings will be expected in some games and will be less stressful than the mid-February 5 inning, 98 pitch stint in my opinion.

Well, enough beating the dead horse. Thanks for your take on things, JD. I always appreciate your thoughtful and insightful responses, based as they are on your own experience with something like what my son and I are going through.

Hose

New coach in a win-or-out tournament game. He meant to pull Nolan but since the kid cruised the first 3 innings he didn’t think about it until the fourth. Evidently, he asked Nolan how he was feeling before he sent him out for the 5th, and Nolan said he felt fine.

The coach is a great coach, kids love and respect him, just out of the Marlins AA affiliate. This was his first tournament coaching instead of playing, so he has a few things to learn too. Next time, I’ll keep the coach better informed on pitch counts, I assure you.

Hose

Just in case you’d like to see the results of trusting that kid…
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42721#42721

I enjoy reading both of your posts regarding watching yours boys pitch…how are old they ? I have one just getting his feet wet, a HS Frosh who just made his varsity team. As a Dad, it’s really something special isn’t it? You think back to when it all began…flipping whiffle / tennis balls in the yard, tee-ball, their first inning on the mound in a game (and that sick feeling in your stomach) …and now watching them pitch in HS. While we all have dfreams about the next step, I keep telling myself to appreciate the moment…we are truly lucky to have the opportunity to watch our sons play HS Baseball !

I just dropped a couple of seconds of video of him over on the mechs forum…and on my log. Hes 17…Well really call it 18, just turned because his birthday is at the end of this month.
I encourage you to do a log on him, mines more of a dads journal…choose whatever style, don’t let him know and just keep it. I will 100% assure you that you will feel it one of your most important keep sakes.

I agree about the blessing…he’s my second to play. I won’t ump this year because of it…I’ll take days off and by golly I’ll get some more video…even if I gotta pay for it. :shock:

[quote=“hoseman18”]
New coach in a win-or-out tournament game. He meant to pull Nolan but since the kid cruised the first 3 innings[/quote]
Did the kid throw most of those 98 pitches AFTER the 3rd inning? If not, I’m not sure I’d call that cruising. Maybe the defense wan’t doing its job?

The standard answer. :wink:

One of the most difficult decisions a youth coach will face is pulling a pitcher when he is doing well only because he’s reached his limit. Sounds like your coach still needs to learn this.

[quote=“Roger”][quote=“hoseman18”]
New coach in a win-or-out tournament game. He meant to pull Nolan but since the kid cruised the first 3 innings[/quote]
Did the kid throw most of those 98 pitches AFTER the 3rd inning? If not, I’m not sure I’d call that cruising. Maybe the defense wan’t doing its job?

The standard answer. :wink:

One of the most difficult decisions a youth coach will face is pulling a pitcher when he is doing well only because he’s reached his limit. Sounds like your coach still needs to learn this.[/quote]

He went 20, 15, and 12…25, 26. First inning went 4-pitch K, ground out, 2-strike doink on a curveball, walk, K. The walk was questionable (kids umping kids), the error was on a can of corn… ran in instead of out for goodness sake, you’d think at 15 they’d have learned by now, but anyway…and the hit batter was just one of those pitches that gets away occasionally. The right pitch, just not executed properly. After that, pitched very well, down in the zone, FB moving with a little sink to it, and when he reached back a bit, he threw it by 'em with the 4 seamer. Trouble was that the same pitches that were strikes in the first 3 innings weren’t after that. Frustrating to watch, but Nolan took it in stride. Only one ball was hit with authority, and that one was a come-backer to the mound that Nolan dodged with what I can only described as uncharacteristic grace :lol: He looked a bit like Wile E. Coyote trying to avoid the oncoming bus…badoom CHING! Actually, if it had gotten a piece of him he would still be feeling it.

I’m not unhappy with his performance. It could have been better, he didn’t seem to have the gas like he has in the past, he missed on a couple of pitches that should have been inning enders…but he maintained his composure even after a couple of errors behind him and fought like a tiger the whole way. His pickoff move looked good, too. And I have faith in the coaches that they’ll be more in tune with the pitchers in games to come.

Hose

:allgood: :nod:
I’m thinkin you and Nolan are going to have an outstanding season.
My prayers and best wishes for something special Hose!

[quote=“jdfromfla”]:allgood: :nod:
I’m thinkin you and Nolan are going to have an outstanding season.
My prayers and best wishes for something special Hose![/quote]

Thanks, bro. Good wishes all around…Andy sounds like he’s about to hit his stride in a big way. Way to go. Makes all the money, time, encouragement, and Little League politics worth it, eh? lol

Hose