First time pitching from 60'

Hey everyone, my 14U team is in a tournament and we just found out that we are playing 90’ bases and 60’ pitching distances. Our games have been at 80 and 54. Any advice on making this transition? We scheduled a practice game in 2 days to help prepare. My arm is strong but I know it will impact my release point. Other than just working and pitching at the new distance do you have any advice?

I am a big kid, 6’3", 200#, LH, but just graduated 8th grade so I don’t have any HS experience. Dad measured my stride at 100% but we’ve had 6 rainouts in a row and I haven’t seen live action for 10 days. He plans to send a video in from my next outing, either a bullpen session or from a game.

I pitch 2 & 4 seamers, split finger, change, and trying to get my curve under better control. This is my first season attempting a curve, my coaches don’t pressure the pitch as I get a lot of grounders, pop-ups, and K’s as needed. My velocity is upper 60’s, low 70’s; we feel is okay from 54 and for my age. I was having trouble of opening up too soon and lost some velocity that outing. The splitter worked great against a really good and aggressive hitting team, but against a weaker team they wouldn’t swing. It was my out-pitch against good hitters.

One other thing, sometimes my drag trail isn’t straight off the rubber. It curves in then straightens out. Does this mean anything? We measured my drag at about 18 inches. This was during a bullpen session and we just worked on mechanics that day. Thanks!!

Well for me, the hardest part about the transition to 60’ was adjusting my curveball. From 54’ I had a great curve. But getting it to break right from 60’ took quite some time. Also, im sure your splitter will be a tough one to adjust as well. Just try to throw your pitches in bullpen or in those practice games, and try to make the adjustment. Hope this helped. Good Luck :slight_smile:

Making the adjustment to the bigger field just requires that you get out there and throw. Lots of reps will get you there.

Regarding your drag line, 18" is a long drag line and that would tell me you build a lot of momentum. The shape of the drag line isn’t much of a concern. But where it ends is. You want to adjust your starting position on the rubber so that your drag line ends on the centerline between the rubber and home plate - especially if you stride to the closed side. This will help you square up to the target at release without throwing across your body as much and without unnecessary posture changes (if this is how you compensate).

Thanks for the replies. I’ll do what I can to make the adjustment.

Do you think I could still be opening up too soon and that it is keeping my velocity down with regards to the momentum I am building? I know that’s hard to answer without seeing a clip, but if I stay closed longer wouldn’t that help to increase my velocity?

Pat Perry, former MLB pitcher, held a half-day camp and he said I collapse my rear leg (left leg), and I do. My regular instructor, an NPA affiliate, told my Dad for me not to worry about that as long as my momentum is coming “home” and out front. After I deliver the pitch my leg pops up and around. Thanks again!

Opening up early can certainly affect velocity because it can reduce or prevent the efficient transfer of energy through the body and out to the arm. In effect, you end up throwing with just your arm. Whether or not you open up early and why would take seeing some video to determine.

As for your collapsing of the back leg, most pitchers bend the back leg as part of the process of starting forward movement toward the target. About the only pitchers who don’t do that are those who start with the legs already bent. The real issue comes about when the collapse is big enough to cause an inappropriate posture change. A lot of times, the head and trunk lean back toward 2B. So, I would say that it’s not just a matter of getting your momentum going toward home but also doing it efficiently meaning with no inappropriate posture changes. It takes work and extra movement to recover from that inappropriate posture. This can affect your control and cause you to tire faster (which also affects your control).

(BTW, I am NPA-certified.)

Does anybody have contact info on Pat Perry. (He pitched for the Cubs for awhile.) He helped out at a weekend camp for little leaguers and I thought he did a real nice job.

Pat Perry lives in the St Lous-O’fallon Missouri area. Don’t have the info from his camp but maybe try pat perry baseball search. He has contacts with the White Sox org that assist at the camp i attended. I’ll see if I can find out more from my coach.