First Class

Over the years I’ve kept special things that reminded me of baseball - ticket stubs, photo albums, old baseballs, a few bats here and there, and even a bleacher seat from an old stadium that was being knocked down. It’s a way to keep in contact with the things that make baseball what it is, well, for me anyway.

Things that can remind me of just how great and how far this game has brought us along are important. And in retrospect, baseball of all things, has made us a little better in the people department too.

In 2010, the United States Postal Service will be issuing a series of stamps honoring the Negro Baseball League. These stamps will be depicting various plays and some of the founders and progressives of that time period - approximately 1920 -1960.

So, if you really want to round out your collection of this-n-that from the game, collect a series of these stamps and carefully store them away.

All in all, it’s really nice to see that these men and their families, that endured so much just for the shear pleasure of playing this wonderful game of ours, are recognized for their contributions. A recognition that goes by the name - First Class.

Coach B.