Fingertip pressure?

My 10 year old was throwing a few pitches to me out front & he starts by just throwing slower get me over type pitches. The first one was spinning and was hard to catch & it moved toward the lefty batter box, he is a righty. I asked him what was that & he said it was his 3 seamer(small hands) & he just applied extra pressure to the 1b side seam. Nothing different with his release or arm motion just extra pressure. Is that ok for a little kid or will that put extra stress on his arm? thanks

If your son prepares properly, is a healthy ten (10) year old, and overall is in pretty good shape, there’s no reason to worry.

In fact, from a pitching coach’s standpoint I’d like to say:
[size=18]CONGRATULATIONS ![/size]

Your son has just crossed over into the world of pitching!.

In every single case, without exception, pitchers that “think” out this-or-that, experiment with various grips, releases, finger pressure, location results and so forth, usually go on to much bigger and better things in this sport.

I strongly encourage you to support your son’s interest in “seeing what works”. He’ll develop a sense of “reason” that every professional soon develops. It will serve him well, believe me.

I’ve PM you with some additional information.

Coach B.

Thank you very much My little guy will be thrilled to read this. He enjoys pitching & enjoys practice. We have home plate painted on the sidewalk as well as a pitching rubber.

Thanks Again Bill

I remember when I picked up the knuckle-curve. I was able to throw it with both two- and three-finger grips, and later on, when I told my pitching coach about it he told me that I could use a different finger pressure with each one and thus affect the way the pitch would break. Believe me, it can be so much fun to experiment in this way with one pitch or another, see how many different ways one can get the pitch to break—and by putting pressure on the middle finger I could get a real changeup.
And that’s how you do it. Experiment with different finger pressures, different grips, see what you can do with different pitches and find out for yourself what will work for you. Great stuff! 8)

[quote=“Zita Carno”]I remember when I picked up the knuckle-curve. I was able to throw it with both two- and three-finger grips, and later on, when I told my pitching coach about it he told me that I could use a different finger pressure with each one and thus affect the way the pitch would break. Believe me, it can be so much fun to experiment in this way with one pitch or another, see how many different ways one can get the pitch to break—and by putting pressure on the middle finger I could get a real changeup.
And that’s how you do it. Experiment with different finger pressures, different grips, see what you can do with different pitches and find out for yourself what will work for you. Great stuff! 8)[/quote]Thanks,He just did it out of the blue & WOW a ton of movement, don’t know if his 3/4 delivery aids in that. We will continue to work with it & see if he can control it, he’s pretty close now but every now & then he takes out the mascot :smiley:

Outstanding sense of humor dad … I’ve shown this post of yours to a few guys that I have coffee with on a Weds morning … we all got a kick out of it.

By the way, in the section for “” I’m posting a topic that has to do with “Arm slots and the Pitcher’s Grip.” Perhaps that topic and the suggestions that follow may be of some interest to you and your son.

As a side note, your son is very fortunate to have a dad that’s willing to support his fun with this game … and a great game it is. Your patience and understanding the limitations of youth and the other demands that orbit growing up will be rewarded some day - when you see your grandson(s) … or granddaughter(s) … doing the same thing.

Nice work dad…

Coach B.