Finger Pressures

Are there certain finger pressures you use on any pitch, that seems to make it move more?

Definitely with the CB, I found that placing extra pressure along the seam with my middle finger was key…

I never played with finger pressures on my fastballs – 2 seam or 4 seam. I just tried to hold it lose and throw the crap out of it.

Hey Steve—how about those Yankees last night? How about that Mariano the Magnificent? After doing his Houdini a couple of days ago he went to the other extreme last night and just struck out the side, one, two, three, and saved the win for C.C.
I used to experiment with finger pressures on a couple of my breaking pitches, and I found that I could affect the way those pitches would break. I used to have a lot of fun with this, and of course the opposing batters would let loose with all sorts of invectives and imprecations, most of them unprintable, as they made their way back to the dugout because they couldn’t hit to save themselves. Poor babies. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

dlutfy121,

At the top of this web page there is an information bar that has a topic called ARTICLES.

“click” on that, then select PITCHING GRIPS. There you’ll find a wealth of information that will compliment what Steven has suggested.

In fact, if you scroll down through the topics, Steven has done a terrific job in collecting all kinds of information that you would otherwise spend a great deal of time and money researching on your own.

Coach B.

majority of the grip should be from the middle finger and thumb. To get a certain movement on the ball depends on where you position your fingers and the forearm angle you have going into arm acceleration and release.

There is information on this site about grips, I think there is a book also.

[quote=“tonyjh34”]majority of the grip should be from the middle finger and thumb. To get a certain movement on the ball depends on where you position your fingers and the forearm angle you have going into arm acceleration and release.

There is information on this site about grips, I think there is a book also.[/quote]

good points tony.

finger pressures are very delicate and only the best in the world have any idea of how to do this.

For my sinker I do the following:

Place your fingers on the place on the ball where the seams are closest to each other (standard 2-seam fastball grip). Lift up your index finger. Place your thumb on the side of the ball. Throw this pitch like a fastball.

with my splitter I used to mix it up by shifting my finger position somewhat. Like if I held it in where my fingers were equally spread apart it would just drop straight down. But If I moved my middle finger further down it would break down and in on a right. If I put my index finger further down then my middle it would break down and away

yes i put different pressures on my two seamer. running fastball and a sinking fastball in one

Interesting business, this finger-pressure stuff. I used to experiment with it, with different pitches, and I found that whether I did it with the index or the middle finger would affect how a pitch would break. I had great fun with this, and opposing hitters didn’t like it one bit—especially because I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of and they were getting everything but. :slight_smile: