Finesse in modern day baseball

This is a question I’ve been wondering for a few days. Do you guys think a finesse pitcher like greg maddux would have that kind of success in baseball today? Or would the smaller strike zone, and importance placed on velocity and strikeouts limit his success. I’m not saying greg maddux wouldn’t have been good today, he definitely would have but would he have been hall of fame good? The closest pitcher to greg maddux right now is Kyle Hendricks in terms of velocity, movement, and command, he’s decent but nowhere near what maddux was. What are your thoughts on this?

Do you guys think a finesse pitcher like Greg Maddox would have that kind of success in baseball today?

Actually more! Because today there is so much emphasiss on velocity that lateral movement and voluntary velo changes have taken a back seat regrettably but you are seeing a trend towards lateral movement now because many are becoming aware of forearm pronation as an injury deterrent that induces lateral movement on all pitch types.

“Or would the smaller strike zone”

They are now calling pitches up actually expanding the zone.

“ importance placed on velocity and strikeouts limit his success. “

The importance is there either way and you are going to produce more K’s with lateral movement, especially the fast twitchers who also have velo!

I’m not saying Greg Maddox wouldn’t have been good today, he definitely would have but would he have been hall of fame good?

Again I would say better!

The closest pitcher to Greg Maddox right now is Kyle Hendricks in terms of velocity, movement, and command, he’s decent but nowhere near what Maddox was.

Hendrix first 3 years he was 31 and 16.
Maddox first 3 years he was 26 and 26.

care to rephrase that?

Both these pitchers forearm pronate their drives on 75% of their pitch types, this should tell you something.

I agree with Dirt, Hendricks a great example and I think will prove as durable and at least very successful. Many people don’t know that “The Great Greg” was as Dirt points out…so so at best in his first couple of years. Maddux claims going to a psychiatrist was the turning point. I think with Kyle Hendricks, hes got to love his world class change just a bit less but in his last several starts he’s been completely lights out…so I think he’s the master of his own destiny…of course he’s broken out his highly effective curve much earlier in the game, earlier this year you literally wouldn’t see it until the third time through the order.