Finding my Velocity...

I really want to find my velocity on all my pitches, but I have no access to a radar gun at all. What is the best way, and most accurate way to pinpoint my velocity without a radar gun?

You can get a rough estimate with a stopwatch. If you know the distance from the mound to the catchers mitt and have a third person who can start the timer when you release the ball and stop the timer when the catcher catches it. You then take the time, let’s say 1 second and divide it by the distance from the mound 60.5 feet. 60.5 ft/1 second=60.5 ft/second. Then you convert ft/sec to mph. That comes out to 41.25 miles per hour. If done exactly it can be very accurate, but because of how difficult it is to get the stopwatch started and stopped at the right times its almost impossible to get an exact reading like that. It will give you an idea though.

Use the distance from the release point to the mitt and you’ll be a little bit more accurate.

you can time the ball by feet per second, so about 1.4 ft per second is 1 mph, so good luck =]

you can time the ball by feet per second, so about 1.4 ft per second is 1 mph, so good luck =]

oops sorry about that

This might sound crazy but…You can use a handheld traffic enforcement radar if you know anyone with your state’s highway patrol or state police. In many state’s the city and municipal police are equipped with them. Add one mph to the reading because they are generally calibrated one mph below actual speed. I’ve used them. They do work. :idea:

Look for a trooper that’s a big Red Sox fan…