Finding a Consistent Release Point

Hey guys, got a topic that I need some answers to. I have been going to a baseball camp run by our local high school at our indoor sports facility every Saturday for the past several weeks. The high school players and coaches are there to help out each week. At the end of the day today, I asked one of our best pitchers on how to achieve a consistent release point. He told me to use the one knee drill that we’ve been introduced to, but to use it with a tee under my pitching arm. Now, if done improperly, I know this can be harmful advice (our coaches tell us to keep our hands on top of the ball, etc.). But, I am willing to try it throwing out of a normal 3/4 arm slot.

Are there any other drills I can do to find a consistent release point?

A consistent release point is the result of a consistent delivery in its entirety. You need consistent posture and balance, consistent glove-side management, consistent stride and momentum, consistent timing, etc. This is why pitching is such a high skill activity.

Some tangible things to think about are consistent foot plant location, sticking the glove consistently to the same spot out in front of you, and sticking your nose consistently to the same spot in front of you.

That was never a problem for me. I was a natural sidearmer, and the consistent release point was just there. Even when I would use the crossfire, a move which I had fallen in love with and which I used all the time, I had that release point—my incredible pitching coach made sure it was always there. Roger, you are so right—when everything else is consistent, the release point will be there too. 8)

I throw a normal 3/4 (I try to keep it in that consistent area) but I throw side-arm in the infield. Is this bad?

No perfectly natural. The sidearm delivery is (generally) quicker and so in the infield you need to make a throw as quick as possible. It is quicker because you mainly use rotation (your arm/body rotates, there is little downward flexion) while pitching you use both rotation and flexion which results in a higher arm slot, but takes longer to perform.

My advice to find the consistent is release point is to fine tune your mechanics, to keep in good physical shape. You can breakdown or throw, but do it nearly every day. A great thing that I learned was to go through your motion, but to keep your arms crossed. This allows you to really work on your body without putting stress on the throwing arm.

[quote=“Roger”]A consistent release point is the result of a consistent delivery in its entirety. You need consistent posture and balance, consistent glove-side management, consistent stride and momentum, consistent timing, etc. This is why pitching is such a high skill activity.

Some tangible things to think about are consistent foot plant location, sticking the glove consistently to the same spot out in front of you, and sticking your nose consistently to the same spot in front of you.[/quote]

I also think consistency happens, to an extent, simply by a pitcher maturing and generally getting stronger and more athletic as he gets older in his teens. Yet, balance exercises (2x4 drills, balance beam, etc.) can also be helpful in promoting good posture and balance, as Roger mentions, and these exercises can be done without weights, which is great and appropriate for younger kids.

Just like consistency in all sports, it happens with practice. The best thing a pitcher can do is throw pitches from a mound. The more often you can get on the mound the better. Drills can indirectly make you better, but let’s face it, the best way for a basketball player to get better at shooting free throws…is… you guessed it, shoot free throws.

Will the tee drill help?