Finally Hit 70+ mph.....but I have a problem

Hi everyone! I’m so excited. :tada:
Why?
I topped out at 72 mph in a bullpen.
I averaged about 65+ easily which makes me happy because I’ve finally not been below average velocity wise.
But… looking back at my video. It doesn’t look good. Please help haha! This is the first time I’ve thrown hard and my arm not hurt.

(It only happens when I’m on flat ground)

Ok- what doesnt look good. When you say “it only happens on flat ground” what are you even talking about? Your long arm action? Lack of lower half? Like what do u mean.

Things I see wrong- your arm is aleady starting maximum external rotation when your foot lands. Your arm should be at the 90 degree cock angle when you land but your already starting to turn shoulders and throw. Also, you lean back far to much and when you finish your trunk is very vertical instead of being pushed out. Yout back leg drive is also minimal.

My back foot comes off the ground only on flat ground

How can I fix these things

I would start with weight transfer.

1. Your first move when you lift your leg is backward. You will gain just by getting your weight started toward the plate when your leg comes up.
  2. Stride farther. Especially on a mound, get yourself as far down the mound as you can.
  3. After front foot strike use your legs to drive your chest forward toward the catcher, and feel like your release is out in front of you. (It won’t actually be, but it will feel like it.)

Remember, “the closer you are to the catcher when you release the ball, the less the distance it has to slow down.” Tom House

Your doing the same thing a very smart person on this forum told me my son was doing which helped alot once we fixed it…

When you separate your hand from your glove, your throwing hand is positioned “behind” the ball which makes for a longer loopy arm action. Not good.

Separate with your thumbs down,esp on your throwing hand (currently your throwing hand is thumb up). This allows you to stay more on top of the ball while sweeping and tightens the back side arm action quite a bit.

Try it, video slo mo and compare to your current side view video…

Seems like a small change but big results.

Good Luck

Salty, how old and how tall are you?

getting on the target line will get your weight down the line too, which will help with some of this verticality. Also try to extend your left elbow down the target line and get your glove out in front as your throwing hand goes back. Try to maintain the shoulders being closed as long as you can and let your lower half catch up. Bring your chest to your glove and not your glove to your chest.

Improving the stride length will come from getting on the target line earlier. The beginning of your delivery is all over the place. You would benefit from being more linear along the target line.
I’d start on these two things.