Film of the Washington Senators Winning the '24 WS

It’s got 2 1st base side views of Walter Johnson pitching 8)

http://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2014/10/film-of-the-washington-senators-winning-the-1924-world-series-found/

The vid can be downloaded from the Library of Congress

Really cool! Nice shot of President Coolidge, too.

What did you think of the first pitchers delivery…doing the REAL wind-up…looks like a Bugs Bunny cartoon :lol: …and then you think…this is one of the very best of his era and he’s going in the World Series :shock:

I also loved the batboy after the dinger…the head first slide into first… And the way they ran…Johnson looks like he threw serious smoke with a deceptive side slinger…Zita Carno type of side armer delivery…I hope Lee Flippen happens by so we can get his talents involved in the Walter Johnson slo-mo step by step…

The round-house wind-up was entertaining and a good reminder that there’s more than one way to git 'er done.

Johnson really wrapped his throwing arm behind him towards 1B yet still got to a good “equal and opposite”. We need more video of Johnson!

Did ya notice how much “Silent Cal” looked like the first George Bush :shock:

And yes…more Walter Johnson would be tremendous

Walter Johnson was one of the finest gentlemen of this game. His sportsmanship, ethics and sense of fair play was admired by boys from coast to coast during that era.

Walter Johnson also gave interviews and had little hesitation for remarking about the business end of the game, at that time. His frankness about the ownership of professional baseball was, to say the least, a little rough around the edges, which was unusual, considering Johnson was a rather reserved and soft spoken.

Walter Johnson is one of the keystones in the Hall of Fame, and rightly so. Something that every young and up in coming ballplayer should read up on.

I don’t know if you noticed this—but I believe Walter Johnson was using the crossfire. From the full windup he took a step toward third, whipped around and fired in to the plate from that angle. Result: a pop-up. That beautiful and lethal move was around at least two decades before Ewell Blackwell popularized it.

I sure did, it was the reason we were hoping Laflippin would share more of it…as you may recall he was very much a proponent of that arm action

Me too. I had fallen so in love with the crossfire that I wound up using it all the time—a fact that was not lost on my wise and wonderful pitching coach, who told me one time “I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw” when he was helping me with my circle change. If you can get LAFlippin to post here, he and I can have a ball discussing that move. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

JD—in an earlier post you referred to a “Zita Carno” type of sidearm delivery when describing how Walter Johnson did it long-arm, sort of slinging the ball. That was how I started, from the beginning when I discovered at age eleven that I had that natural delivery. A little later on, when I began working with Eddie Lopat (and what an incredible pitching coach he was!), he showed me how to short-arm that delivery—something he had picked up in his White Sox days—which gave me two ways to throw sidearm, and he told me “And this is where you use the crossfire. And always with the slider.” He knew, and was informing me, that my slider would be even deadlier with the addition of the crossfire. You can be sure I picked up on that, and I would use that move with all the other stuff I had, much to the discomfiture of the opposing batters who couldn’t pick up my pitches no matter which delivery I used; is it any wonder I lost track of my strikeouts because I piled up so many of them over the years?
Steady Eddie told me that I was a strikeout pitcher. “You’ve got a great slider—a real nasty one —and you get the batters out with it.” This was the pitch I had nicknamed “Filthy McNasty”, after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie because that was exactly what the pitch was. He continued, “You set the batters up for that slider and you get them out with it.” He was the one who had taught me how to throw a good one, and I appreciated that. He also emphasized that I could get groundball outs—especially when I wanted a double play—and he said, "You know that you have some good fielders behind you. You can let them do some of the work; you can let them get a few outs for you now and then."
What an incredible pitching coach he was. It was what he did when he wasn’t beating the Cleveland Indians to an unrecognizable pulp. :slight_smile: 8) [/i]