Female Pitcher

My daughter is a female pitcher for no team, she is 10 and has pitched since she was little with her father. Once her father died she has been working more on her pitching in the backyard. She works more on her aim than speed. She is using a year old glove and loves pitching. All I am asking for is some tips on how she can improve so I can give them to her and for her to be happy. Plus there is hardly any tips for youth female pitchers.

if she wants to play baseball (which is awesome by the way :smiley: ) then she is gonna have to learn to pitch using the same pitching mechanics and techniques as the boys. i would just focus on learning good, solid, mechanics, regardless of gender.

good luck :slight_smile:

Good for her. We had a girl catcher last year that was awesome, she was tougher then any of the boys, hit better and threw better, too.

First thing to be a picther one must have: Balanace & Direction

That means good upright controlled balanced movements and everything in a directional straight line to the catcher. Any of those two things are off and it’s not going to end well.

First step is coming: Set
Feet shoulder width apart hands together near the belt line…hold SET position for about a second.

Second step: leg lift to balance position

Work on these two first…and we’ll go from there.

I’m sure others will chime in to help you out. Best thing you could do is get at least one leason with a pitching coach…maybe someone would even donate it if you can’t afford.

My son’s 14U team plays a very good Spanish-American team that has a girl pitcher and catcher combo - and they are good! You don’t run on the catcher. She’ll throw you out. And watch out for the girl’s change up. It’s nasty and she controls it well. She also throws as hard or harder than nost guys, and can field the position well.

Play catch often with her and let her practice pitching two or three times a week. There’s lots of good info available from this site on how to teach pitching, and the previous post outlined the basics. Have fun!

The important thing is, if you’re looking for a pitching coach you need to find one who knows his or her elbow from third base and knows how to teach pitching. The woods are full of folks who can talk a good game, maybe even pitch a good game, but when it comes to teaching someone how to do it, mneh! (sour face) The coach not only must know the good solid mechanics but also must be able to relate to the kid, see where she’s coming from and work with her to help her make the most of her capabilities.
I was lucky. I had picked up some things on my own, and I was pitching for a couple of years and winning a lot of games—but at one point I was very curious about the slider. As a result of this curiosity, I met the guy who would become my pitching coach for almost four years—a veteran major-league pitcher named Ed Lopat who seemed to know instinctively where I was at and that I was serious, really wanted to know and was willing to work at it; he took me in hand, worked with me and helped me become a better pitcher than I had been before. (And he showed me how to throw a good slider!)
The upshot of it all is, once you have found a really good pitching coach who can bring out the best in your kid, never let him or her go. 8)

Zita has made a brand new best friend!!!

Thank you all for the tips! Please give more if you have time!

Hi, Christina.
My wise and wonderful pitching coach of long ago firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion, and the thing to do is work with said pitcher to maximize his or her capabilities. I was a natural sidearmer, and my coach—Yankee pitcher Ed Lopat, who was with the team from 1948 to the middle of the 1955 season–recognized this and helped me make the most of it. He helped me refine the crossfire—a beautiful and deadly move that works only with the sidearm delivery—expand my repertoire, which did NOT include a fast ball (I just didn’t have one), and told me a lot of things about control, location, getting the ball where I wanted it to go and keeping it away from the batters. And he showed me how to throw a good slider.
You say your daughter is ten years old, right? Well, I would suggest that she work on perfecting the fast ball (assuming she has one) and the changeup: and may I suggest the palm ball? That was the first change I acquired, and it’s easy to throw, easy to control and murder for the batters to hit. If she isn’t throwing breaking pitches now, she can wait a year or two; if she is experimenting with them I’d like to know which one(s), and I can give you some more hints and tips. I’ll be waiting. 8) :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher:

I just wanted to drop in and say I helped coach a female baseball player who was 12. She pitched and played some third base. One of the best clients I’ve ever had, and she has no interest in softball.

Girls certainly do belong on the baseball field and I hope more and more end up playing.

She throws a fastball, she doesn’t really know how to throw other pitches on command but she does them on accident. If you would zita (or anyone) explain how to throw a slider? She really wants to throw one

Christina, as a rule most coaches won’t let young pitchers even think about throwing any kind of breaking pitches until they’re at least 14 or 15—but you say that your daughter will throw some of them accidentally and is particularly interested in the slider. So if that’s what she’s doing—throwing one accidentally—I’ll give her some idea of how to throw one. Let’s start with the grip.
The usual grip for a slider is like a curve ball but with the index and middle fingers off-center and very close together, with the middle finger just touching one seam, and the thumb underneath the ball for support. You throw the ball like a curve, but don’t snap your wrist, just roll it—turn it over, kind of like a chef flipping a pancake or a crepe, which is a much easier action. Easy does it—and if by any chance she can throw sidearm she should work with that, because the sidearm delivery is the easiest and most natural. And she could also work on a changeup–my favorite is the palm ball, which was the first one I acquired, and a very effective pitch it was. For that one she should grip the ball with all four fingers on top of the ball and the thumb underneath—again—for support, the ball well back in the palm of the hand (hence the name)–but don’t grip the ball too tightly, because she doesn’t want to squeeze the juice out of the ball.
And of course, work on control, location, getting the ball to go where she wants it to, and continue to work on basic fundamentals like posture, balance, glove-side control: here a good pitching coach can help. I’m glad to see that Kyle in Seattle has been working with another female pitcher—he’s definitely on our side! :baseballpitcher:

Thank you, thank you and thank you!!!