Feedback, please?

Here are 3 videos ala 3 pitches I just recorded on flat ground im my backyard. I’m wondering why my Fastball is so slow. Please read this topic for more background:
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17215

Here are the videos:
One: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Fly_7efQs
Two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mzRlSlKWmE
Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8RKLDOkrc

How were you measured for speed? Tennis shoes don’t give any purchase on a slick concrete driveway. If you want serious answers Laugh you’ll have to give us some serious feedback. You won’t be a pitcher over-night, it takes years of effort…Dino showed you a guy who worked hard and had success.

I was measured inside with a radar gun. I do want serious answers, people asked for a video so I supplied one. I will try to take a better video, but I don’t know how to make it good enough to be analysed.

Fair enough, the reason I asked for one off of a mound was that on a mound you’ve got decent footing and generally speaking you’d be throwing to a catcher. Understanding how, and doing it with skill are two different things. You’ve got huge ground to cover to get enough time and experience, I’d start by throwing everyday if you can, learn long toss and do it also as frequently as possible. Find a buddy and work off a mound a couple of times a week if possible. Work on this on into spring and we’ll see how you progress. Keep reading Lanky’s log and keep up on yours, we’ll be watching and paying attention.

Do you think it is true that if I throw everyday and long toss every other day I will start to see improvements in every physical aspect of pitching?

I read a book by Leo Mazzone, the pitching of the big 3 in Atlanta in the 90s, and he said that throwing everyday is excellent and it’s what they did. But here’s how you want to do it: you’ll want to pitch the first day, full speed, then rest or light tossing the next, a light bullpen the next, only throwing 60-70 per ent effort and just working on the ‘feel’ of your pitches, another 60-70 percent bullpen the next day, long toss the next, then full speed pitching and start the cycle over.

Day 1: Full speed pitching.

Day 2: No throwing or light catch.

Days 3 and 4: 60-70 percent ‘feel’ pens.

Day 5: Long toss.

Day 6: Full speed pitching.

For how to long toss properly, check out Alan Jaeger, he has that system nailed down rather solid.

This throwing program should give you good results.

Now onto mechanics :smiley:

You get your hips leading the way nicely but then you quit moving forward with them. Move quickly sideways into a nice comfortable balanced stride. Don’t lean side to side so you can have an efficient hip rotation. Try speeding up your mechanics, this will get you moving towards the plate more effectively and allow your hips to lead rather than your lead leg.

Good luck, keep up the hard work.

Yes, having a plan will improve your delivery, if followed…the better you get, the better your conditioning needs to be. As I said may times, the only magic bullets you have is desire and work ethic.

I’d also suggest you spend the majority of time at first, really getting the fundementals down and the strength up before you spend the majority of your time on mechanics.

[quote=“jdfromfla”]Yes, having a plan will improve your delivery, if followed…the better you get, the better your conditioning needs to be. As I said may times, the only magic bullets you have is desire and work ethic.

I’d also suggest you spend the majority of time at first, really getting the fundementals down and the strength up before you spend the majority of your time on mechanics.[/quote]

Is it wrong to be doing them at the same time? I have talked with my teammate/gym partner and we devised a plan for when school starts which is as follows:

Monday after School: Get on the field to stretch, do some throwing and then long toss. Then we will do sprints. I estimate this will take about ~20 minutes. Then we will go to the Gym as usual and work on the body parts we have been.

Tuesday after School: Same thing, except no long toss and different body parts at the Gym

Wednesday after School: Same thing again, but with long toss and different body parts.

We will be alternating like that.

When my son (also in high school) does his long toss routine it takes over an hour. It certainly isent just the amount of time your looking at, and throwing period is certainly better than nothing, but, 20 minutes for a stretch, sprints and longtoss…I would think your not getting in much of a throw at all.

It was just a wild guess. I haven’t executed this plan yet and I’m not very good at guessing like that. It very well could take us an hour and I’d be fine with that.

My long toss will take around an hour, it all depends on how you feel that day, but mostly a 45-60 min commit. My warmup before that takes around 15 -30 minutes. Just an idea for you.

IMO a warm-up should never take more than 15 mins. Some of the programs out there that last that long could be cut in half. The warm up is all about efficient movement patterns and the same can be accomplished in half the time, literally.

Trevor Bauers is a perfect example, it’s a circus act. Sorry, I know that’s going to offend a lot of people on this board. However, I don’t think what he does is necessary from my point of view. He could accomplish the same in less time.

However, to each his own. I just don’t think it’s necessary to spend 30-60 mins warming up. It always comes down to quality over quantity. Just because it takes longer doesn’t make it better or more complex.

IMO a warm-up should never take more than 15 mins. Some of the programs out there that last that long could be cut in half. The warm up is all about efficient movement patterns and the same can be accomplished in half the time, literally.

Trevor Bauers is a perfect example, it’s a circus act. Sorry, I know that’s going to offend a lot of people on this board. However, I don’t think what he does is necessary from my point of view. He could accomplish the same in less time.

However, to each his own. I just don’t think it’s necessary to spend 30-60 mins warming up. It always comes down to quality over quantity. Just because it takes longer doesn’t make it better or more complex.[/quote]

My college follows the Wolforth warm-up stuff and we only take about 20 minutes before throwing. We do rugbies (several walking dynamic stretches), ladder drills, cone drills, use our cords. Only 20 minutes. We do the other stuff during practice when we aren’t doing PFP’s or pitching. You can follow Wolforth’s stuff and still not have an extremely long warm-up before throwing.