Fastball vs. Curveball - Eval

Side by side of my sons 4 seam and curveball with slo motion (super slo mo during the actual release)… curve ball is something he has not thrown, was holding off until he got to the full size diamond… Got some pitching experience in Babe Ruth on the full size diamond this year as a 12YO, and we started adding the curve in 2 weeks ago a little bit to get comfortable with it and possibly throw it next year. Ended up pitching Saturday in 14U fall ball, and broke it out a handful of times, getting 3 strikeouts on it. It’s not a big 12-6 knee buckling curve that breaks a ton… it’s a harder curve, but it drops 8-10 inches fairly consistently… I have no idea what feedback to provide him… on this video clip, he’s not getting real good leg drive (with either pitch), and I don’t know if that’s because he’s throwing with sneakers off a carpet mound, or if that’s a problem I need him to work on… This is throwing from a homemade portable mound to a strike zone 60’ away. Thanks for any feedback you can provide, I want to catch any potential injury causing mechanics before we end up with arm trouble… we are about 45 days away from the end of baseball for the season, so trying to get a little experience before winter hits and we don’t throw again for 4-5 months…

Here is a better video showing both pitches… is arm action consistent enough and is this good break or should we focus on taking off more speed and getting more break?? I know there are some breakdowns on follow through but I attribute that to focusing so much on the new grip…

Nothing drastically wrong with the delivery. I think he needs to follow through with the fastball a bit more. He seems to be cutting off his motion. His curveball follow through is better and you can tell the difference. I’m not sure which finger he puts more pressure onto with the curve. If his pressure is equal, maybe he should be more middle finger dominant. It will slow the ball down and give the rotation and gravity bit more time to act on the ball to enhance the drop and get the speeds to vary between the two pitches.

1 Like