Fastball Velocity

I’m in 8th grade. I’m 13 5’7" 110 pounds and throw 70-73 and top out at 75 with my four seam fastball. Is that good? Comments are greatly appreciated.

thats pretty good man i know alot of kids who cant throw over 65.

fastball 80-83
curve
change

In general, for youth baseball, your age times 5 is an average velocity.

I think high velocity is great, as long as you can paint the corners.
If you have control over your fastball, then you should be pitching High School (even if you are still in Middle School).

When I go to AAA games, it seems that the Shortstops have more arm then the pitcher, but they just can’t throw it through that small window.

BTW- where are you kids getting these radar-guns to measure your velocity?

10 years ago it was rare to see a gun, now just about every high school, camp, clinic or coach seems to have one…at least here in Florida…oft abused, seldom used as the tool it’s supposed to be…it has become the gate keeper.
I think the “instant gratification society” has harmed efforts to get kids to “learn” how to pitch…today, if a kid can’t get to certain speeds and make certain teams they are considered not a quality prospect…This in my opinion leads to injury as kids try to throw way too hard before they’ve become properly trained AND conditioned to throw at high speeds…patience is a lost art. I’ve trained my son a different way…a way that took a different road, we built a great mechanics base and established a solid training regieme, we competed but with an eye towards high school and post high school pitching…worked out too.

10 years ago it was rare to see a gun, now just about every high school, camp, clinic or coach seems to have one…at least here in Florida…oft abused, seldom used as the tool it’s supposed to be…it has become the gate keeper.
I think the “instant gratification society” has harmed efforts to get kids to “learn” how to pitch…today, if a kid can’t get to certain speeds and make certain teams they are considered not a quality prospect…This in my opinion leads to injury as kids try to throw way too hard before they’ve become properly trained AND conditioned to throw at high speeds…patience is a lost art. I’ve trained my son a different way…a way that took a different road, we built a great mechanics base and established a solid training regieme, we competed but with an eye towards high school and post high school pitching…worked out too.[/quote]

your sons lucky too have a dad that cares for him so much…