Fastball in the dirt

I know it’s a little hard to fix something when you don’t have a video. But the thing is:

My fastballs tend to end up in the dirt. It usually starts down in the zone but instead of staying on that plane it breaks and end up in the dirt.
I know it could be a good pitch if I could throw it in the dirt when I wanted, but right now I have no control.
So it’s a big issue, because I end up walking too many guys.

I think of two things that may cause this:

1. I’m not keeping the fingers on top of the ball when releasing it. Sometimes I feel like the ball comes out of my hand by the index finger, not squared.

2. Problem with the stride.

I think it should be the 1st option, what do you guys think? Any thoughts?

[quote=“KreGg”]My fastballs tend to end up in the dirt. It usually starts down in the zone but instead of staying on that plane it breaks and end up in the dirt.
I know it could be a good pitch if I could throw it in the dirt when I wanted, but right now I have no control.
So it’s a big issue, because I end up walking too many guys.

I think of two things that may cause this:

1. I’m not keeping the fingers on top of the ball when releasing it. Sometimes I feel like the ball comes out of my hand by the index finger, not squared.

2. Problem with the stride.

I think it should be the 1st option, what do you guys think? Any thoughts?[/quote]

Do you throw a 2-seamer or a 4-seamer?

What arm slot do you throw from?

Given that you describe the ball as breaking (versus going on a line into the ground), I’d guess that you’re inadvertently throwing a slider. You could be supinating (twisting clockwise) your forearm through the release point.

The strange thing is that I grip it like a 4-seamer.
I throw it overhand/three-quarters.

It has some 2 seamer movement to it, maybe I’m putting some pressure with my index finger? I will have to see if I notice anything like that. I don’t think I’m throwing a slider, it does not have the slider movement. I’m a righty and it breaks down and in for a right-handed batter.

I think I might not have been keeping the fingers on top of the ball.
I gotta get myself videotaped, so I can get much more help.

Let’s be careful not to out-think this thing … how about aiming a little higher ?

Hmm maybe, but I don’t know. I’m just trying to put it right down the middle but then it goes down and hits the catcher’s leg or even hit the plate.

Do you mean aiming it a lot higher? Like, at the batter’s head level? hehe

I think a good possibility is that you could have too short of a stride. I know guys tho tend to keep the ball way up and out of the strike zone often have too long of a stride and theyre arm tends to drag a little bit and the release of the ball tends to have it “sail” up and out of the strike zone. This could be the case for you but in the complete opposite. Maybe your stride is too short and your arm is way out in front of your body and when you are releasing the ball it is already lower than normal.

Hey guys thank for the posts.

I just had a game yesterday, and I found out the problem. I was not keeping the fingers on top of the ball. Just like I said it could be this. I tried to keep them on top of the ball when I was warming up and I was throwing well.

On that game I had no problems with my control. Actually, I gave up only 1 hit on 7 IP, but mainly because they are not good on hitting, and they had 3-4 bench players playing. But I used it more as a training. I was able to finally spot my curveball (usually when I threw it in a game it would bounce 6 feet in front of the plate) and could get 3 Ks with it, one looking and 2 swinging.

I think I could’ve been doing what Chris said, I was somewhat inadvertently throwing a slider.