Fastball,Change Up? That is the Question

Ok im just wondering if a hitter swings threw your fastball should you throw him a changeup knowing he can’t catch up to your fastball? :?:

depends on a lot of things. does your change-up have a big speed difference? some movement? does your fastball is really good or he just missed it? usually from a good fastball point of view you should go back to the fastball he might foul it off. you want to make him feel like he’s catching up to you than you throw the change-up and he’s gonna be out in front but from a regular to bad fastball point of view he might already be timed he just missed it. a change-up is in this case to consider. remember that everything can be thrown at any time though. just throw it at the right time.

I teach my pitchers that if a batter cannot catch up to their fastball, then don’t help him out with offspeed pitches. Just change locations.

That’s my philosophy.

I agree. If you throw a fastball and make the batter look like a fool, then throw another one. If you are conserned with the location, just throw it low and away. If you do want to throw a changeup, grunt a little. That seems to throw off a lot of batters, because they are gearing up for a fastball.

If your fastball is fouled off and it goes straight back over the umpires head. It is time to throw a change up. This means that the batter has your fastball timed correctly.

Ian

[quote=“Roger”]I teach my pitchers that if a batter cannot catch up to their fastball, then don’t help him out with offspeed pitches. Just change locations.

That’s my philosophy.[/quote]

Amen!

[quote=“Roger”]I teach my pitchers that if a batter cannot catch up to their fastball, then don’t help him out with offspeed pitches. Just change locations.

That’s my philosophy.[/quote]
Hah its that some people say start the batter of with a changeup because hes expecting a fastball, but if he hasnt seen your fastball, your changeup most likely will get ripped :twisted:

These are both pieces of good advice. Another way to look at it is, if he “pulls” your best fastball foul, then a changeup CAN be effective. A breaking ball can also work in this situation.

The key, as is oft stated, is deception. Don’t be predictable.

Another part of the equation is, where did you place that fastball that he ripped? If you placed a plumb down the pipe, you just did him a favor. He may not actually have all of your fastballs pegged, just that plumb. As per Leo Mazzone’s philosophy, low and away is what you want to “own”. Can he hit that? In under the hands? High heat?

A lot of variables. Be creative and unpredictable. No single strategy will always work and, at some point, you’ll be figured out if you’re too consistent with your responses.