Fast twitch vs. slow twitch muscles in a pitcher?

I have seen some posts from dirtberry/yardbird where he mentions the importance of fast twitch fibers for high velocity pitchers.

Are there any published studies where hard throwing pitchers were tested to see fast/slow twitch fiber counts?

(FWIW, I think I’m mostly slow twitch… I’ve done a bit of bike riding – where slow twitch isn’t a dirty word – and seemed to be “better” at it than my friends. Hope my kids didn’t get those genes, but I gotta say my oldest is already a pretty decent long distance runner…)

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/fasttwitchmachine.html Really good article on fast twitch

Bbrages,

It’s not that they are important or that they can be attained It’s that they are what dictates who will produce the highest velocities, the same thing that all highest performance ballistic speed athletes possess and they are totally genetic.

By stating this I do not want parents to think because there child is not a genetically gifted pitcher that they should not peruse pitching in that only a very small percentage of the population is genetically gifted and the rest still have a place in lower level baseball i.e. Youth, High school and College, there are thousands of lower level meaningful pitching performances to every professional one. To bad, the days of the highly successful Randy Jones’s and Greg Maddux’s of the world is well over because pro management thinks only high velocity, lesser pitch types need apply.

No, who would go through the biopsies it would take to find out and why would someone need to know when all that particular sports physiological science has been proven a long, long time ago and has not changed in any way since. You only need a good radar gun to know.
No studies are needed to know this principle. I find it curious that people ( even supposed scientific orgs.) continually need to verify known discovery all the time when it is not necessary. It reminds me of the waste of time and resources ASMI goes through all the time when the science is already known and needs no verification like the long toss study that can not be verified one way or the other with that type of field study.

Sometimes things are more complicated than they look and what we think is right ends up being proven wrong. Hey, the world sure looks flat from where I’m standing.

A starting pitcher will often throw 100 pitches or more without much loss in velocity. Is it possible to exercise fast twitch fibers at maximal effort 100 times without significant fatigue?