Fast or hard

is there a difference between fast and hard in terms of how hard/fast they throw?like lets say that guy throws hard would that be the same as that guy throws fast?

[quote=“gary kuang”]is there a difference between fast and hard in terms of how hard/fast they throw?like lets say that guy throws hard would that be the same as that guy throws fast?[/quote]That’s a tough question to answer. I’d say that hard would mean that you are throwing faster than it seems, and fast is well, fast. :lol:

Catchers will tell you there’s a difference. Some guys tend to throw a ball that’s ‘heavy,’ but for the life of me I don’t know why. I suppose it might have something to do with 4-seam pitches that tend to stay up ‘fast’ and 2-seamers that tend to have sink.

No.

Hard and fast are pretty much describing the same thing. They are used synonymously.

A heavy pitch is something different and is usually correlated with someone who has good sinking action on the ball. It is called heavy because it simply feels heavy when the catcher catches it. Guys who throw heavy fastballs usually do a good job of staying on top or “getting through the ball.” Also, a good heavy fastball will be tough to lift in the air.

Kevin Brown had one of the heaviest fastballs in recent memory. Chien-Ming Wang currently has a very heavy fastball (sinker).

Palo…well said. I tend to associate hard with heavy, as in ‘hard sinker.’ Language is interesting isn’t it.

No.

Generally the two mean the same thing.

A “heavy” ball is a 2-Seamer that has an unusual amount of sink (or downward movement). In contrast, a 4-Seamer would be described as “hopping” because it stays up more than a 2-Seamer would.

Of course, a 4-Seamer doesn’t really hop upwards. It just doesn’t drop as much as you would expect.

I was at an Astros - Mets game last year… it was Oswalt pitching against Mike Pelfey.

the gun at the stadium was reading that Pelfrey was throwing consistenyly about 4 mph faster than Oswalt…

But there was deninitly something ‘harder’ looking about Oswalt’s pitches. His ball was just gunning towards the plate… whereas Pelfrey’s pitches looked like they were flying in.

Pelfrey, it should be noted, is said to throw a lot of 2-seamers.