falling off the mound

im 5’8 throw low to mid 70’s - but when i pitch i fall off the mound almost to the extreme that rodriguez does [cant remember his first name at the moment] from the angels

is this a sign that im doing something wrong?

[quote=“OffSet”]im 5’8 throw low to mid 70’s - but when i pitch i fall off the mound almost to the extreme that rodriguez does [cant remember his first name at the moment] from the angels

is this a sign that im doing something wrong?[/quote]

K-Rod?

Well several great pitchers…including Mr. Steven Ellis, were known to fall off.
To say if you in particular are doing something that is inefficient is difficult. Are you able to throw the ball where you want?
Are you coming up sore?
Do you have endurance issues?
Can you still field your position and protect yourself?
How is it when you throw from the stretch?
Have you attempted to flow more towards the plate…and if so how did it work out (Well if it was better I’d guess you’d be doing it)?
What does your coach say?
Get the answers to these questions and your answer should be fairly clear.
With most things if you just take the time to reflect, consider as many angles as you can, you can “generally” get the answer…self-correction is a BIG asset in our art, practice going through little problems like this with that sort of questioning and you’ll find many benefits await :wink:

Offset-

I can’t tell you if it is right or wrong as I am no professional-but KRod seems to do OK in my book; but mechanically-I’m sure the others on this site cringe when they see him pitch. But I had wondered the same thing for the 13-yr old boys I coach.

I found a great explanation of this that will help you. Check this out. Go to acepitcher.com, then under Ace Headlines-click on Pitching Analysis Videos. They highlight 2 pitchers and go into great depth talking about their form and mechanics. Specifically on the “Sam” video they reference the falling off the mound issue that he has. This is wonderfully explained.

From what I understand (one of the primary reasons), “falling off the mound” happens when the post leg does not stabilize and/or is not allowed to triple extend into the body, then all of that energy and momentum that you have just generated coming off of the mound and getting to this point is essentially left to transfer into “catching” you as you fall into the pitch. If you can focus on stabilizing that post leg and extending through it into your hip, maintaining your balance, then all of that momentum and energy will transefer and get released through the ball-thus an increase in pitch speed.

Check out the Ryan/Clemens videos on this site. When anyone either on this site or any others ever talk about great mechanics-these are the top 2 on nearly everyones list. So, just as Clemens immulated Ryan, that’s good enough for me. So when I refer above to “extending through it into your hips” (aka triple extension), see how they do it and try and work on that.

Obviously-other factors come in to play as far as increasing speed, but this seems to make sense to me as I was studying it and I’m trying to get my boys to do this now.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck.

Bob

[quote]throw the ball where you want?
Are you coming up sore?
Do you have endurance issues?
Can you still field your position and protect yourself?
How is it when you throw from the stretch?
Have you attempted to flow more towards the plate…and if so how did it work out (Well if it was better I’d guess you’d be doing it)?
What does your coach say? [/quote]
more times then not
60-70 pitches and im pretty burnt
i can field it if the ball comes over to where i am :shock:
i only throw from the stretch… from the windup is just a total mess
im not really sure what you mean
last year was my first time actually playing in a league :roll: so i played really low level ball, coaches were totally useless… and i havent gotten any coaching yet

Bobbybanker -

thanks that vid was alot of help :smiley:

im also 15 so i don’t know if that helps much[/quote]

[quote]more times then not
60-70 pitches and im pretty burnt
i can field it if the ball comes over to where i am Shocked
i only throw from the stretch… from the windup is just a total mess
im not really sure what you mean
last year was my first time actually playing in a league Rolling Eyes so i played really low level ball, coaches were totally useless… and i havent gotten any coaching yet

Bobbybanker -

thanks that vid was alot of help Very Happy

im also 15 so i don’t know if that helps much[/quote]

jw… u play on Mississauga tigers or something?

not sure of the name… or if we evn had a name :flush:

but they were grey jerseys with a tiger on them so it coulda been tigers lol

You play on ur high school team or a league

im home-schooled so league

are u turning 16 or turned 15 and you dont no ur team name?

turning 16 in june

last years team i cant remember the name of :?

im gonna start seeing a pitching coach - gonna ask him what level he thinks i should play this year, then go sign up/tryout sometime this week or when the tryouts are

well ur arsenal seems solid good luck hope to play you! :slight_smile:

:d

I cringe when I see K-rod pitch. Yes, he has figured out how to be successful while falling off to the extreme. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to teach young pitchers to do that. In fact, there are a number of aspects of his delivery that are potentially precursors to injury.

If you have a problem with falling off to the side, I’d be highly suspicious that you have a timing problem and that you need more tempo.

You guys play in the MSBA or the majors organisation? that’s where i’ll be playing this summer.

MSBA

and im curious as to what a knuckle slurve would look like :shock:

it’s basically a knuckle curve with a different rotation, that slides. I couldve called it a knuckle slider, but it’s with the kncv grip.

btw, will you be playing in A? That’s where i’ll be, I have no interest in playing anything higher than that anyways.

I was A last year this year we are AA

you guys know each other?