Falling forward too fast

That retired pro pitcher I was working with told me I was going forward too fast. As in I was moving forward when I lifted my leg kind of. So he made me do a drill in which I lift my leg, drop it back down to tap the rubber with my toe twice, then lift and go. Seemed to work because when I had it down I was throwing I did alot better on all my pitches. Anyone else ever try this?

Sounds similiar to what Robb Nenn used to do during his career to help him with his timing issues.

Many people on this board, including me, would disagree with the advice you’ve been given. It sounds like he’s advocating the old “balance point” concept. Many here recommend that moving the hips sideways at the target before the lift knee gets to it’s apex is a good thing. Also, there’s a tendency here to advocate for moving faster out to landing, which is a different thing from what people call “rushing” the motion, which is a timing issue and not one of moving too fast generally.

when you get to the top by bringing your stride knee up toward your back shoulder (helps you get closed), lead with your hips and get them as far in front of your shoulders as possible while maintaining balance. think of your body forming a > when you start toward the plate. the koufax video clips on the site show this very well. if you take the shoulders with the hips or get them in front of the hips, it is hard to get any leverage out of your core muscles.

pretend you see a snake behind the rubber when you get to the top of your delivery and get out of there.

But then Id dive out of the way and pull out my .22 and be like rat-a-tat-tat.

bad example. don’t recommend carrying a firearm to the mound other than your arm

lol
I checked it out, and my fastball has more energy than a .22 Short
:smiley:
haha I think thats so cool.

But then Id dive out of the way and pull out my .22 and be like rat-a-tat-tat.[/quote]

:laughing:

Was he talking about your total body or one specific part? As DM said, getting started early is generally a good thing as long as you lead with your front hip. If your upper half (head and shoulders) are getting out front, then I would agree that you need to fix that because that prevents efficient tranfer of energy up the chain and causes you to throw with too much arm. However, the fix is not to keep your total body back. Rather, the fix is probably a postural adjustment.

I agree with DM - that sounds like a form of the balance point drill. I personally don’t care for it.

What is considered out front? I understand that your head and bellybutton should stay stacked or in line. What is a good guide for how far the shoulders should be behind the hips. Is it ok if they are all stacked on top of each other. What is too far behind?? Thanks.

“Seemed to work because when I had it down I was throwing I did alot better on all my pitches.”

Well fellas…apparently he saw something (Coach) and made a suggestion, he’s on site and working with him, it may just be a transitional thing that helps him change something over time. I believe in momentum as an assister, but perhaps Jacob has a timing issue and was losing seperation or hand position was out of whack. Balance point and most of the other jingoist phrases tends to lose focus on pitching with one smooth fluid motion…so I don’t find it useful and we don’t have this kids coaches perspective…I urge caution in flat dismissing his work…

This is pretty much a judgement call. Ideally, we’re trying to get the pitcher to maintain posture and balance so that there is no unnecessary movement and no energy being directed in any direction other than at the target. And we want the pitcher to be in a position where he can optimally convert linear momentum into rotational momentum (e.g. good hip rotation, good hip and shoulder separation, etc.).

Generally speaking, if your head and shoulders get ahead of the front hip before front foot plant, that is considered inappropriately out front. If your head and shoulders lean back so much that the head actually moves back toward 2B or the upper half can’t ever catch up and get out over the front foot then that is inappropriately too far back.