Fall Baseball Leagues

I’m curious to see how many of you…

1. Play in a fall baseball league. What kind?

2. Coach in a fall baseball league.

3. Watch fall baseball.

What do you think are the benefits? (All age groups)

Thanks!

Last year I played in a Babe Ruth fall league and had a great time learning new skills and getting a chance to just play baseball more. This year I started playing Legion fall ball but ended up quitting because cross country completely drained my energy and I was exhausted when I got to practice. However I wish that I had been able to play because we had a really great coach that now I have to wait for the summer to play for. So in all, if your thinking of playing fall baseball, DO IT! You’ll have a great time and its a chance to try out new positions and practice your skills.

Played in a fall league this year and it wasn’t worth the time at all, we drubbed every team and it just made us play weak.

the last 3 out of 4 years ive played. but this year im playin travel which is pretty much fall ball since it starts in september and endes in november. its been great. like someone said its great to give ball players who dont play positions like 1st base or catcher or any other one a chance to learn. and you can play loose.

thuis sunday i got a game (9 innings). usually we play 2 gams (double headers 6 innings) but they usually get in 4-5 inning cuz of time

I play fall ball for my organization, whom i play with in the summer, lots of fun with great coaching

I am in fall ball baseball. I watch football and i wish i can watch fall ball baseball. 100th post :slight_smile:

[quote=“baseball_hitting_tips”]I’m curious to see how many of you…

3. Watch fall baseball.

Thanks![/quote]

Well Steven, I sure don’t play or coach, but as an SK I do watch.

I’m assuming you mean the benefit to the players, but before I answer that, I have to tell you the benefit to me as the team’s SK.

I haven’t got a child on the team, so the only contact I have with these players and their parents is at HS baseball games. Every single year I have to re-learn some of the kids, and learn at least the new one’s to the V. I have to learn what they look like out in the field when I can’t see their number, so I’m always looking for body language cues, the color of a glove, the way they wear a hat, or some other goofy thing someone more familiar with them personally wouldn’t have to use. In the end, it helps get me ready for the “real” season that starts in the spring.

I have to grit my teeth about a lot of things in the fall that I won’t put up with in the spring. FI, I seldom see a lineup card for our team, let alone the opponents. Players move around positions a lot more, and its not at all unusual for a player to bat in more than 1 batting position in the lineup, or even to bat or run more than once in the same inning. But I realize those things and others like them aren’t being done just to make my job harder, so while I don’t necessarily “like” it, I don’t lose much sleep over it either.

As for what the players get out of it, I think it varies. Of course it’s a great time for getting reps, but I think its more important to get reps under that coach. New players really need to get used to his “moods” if you will, his “system”, what he expects, and for sure how he moves the pieces around the chessboard.

Its definitely a learning experience for parents now to the system too. In case there are some folks out there reading this who haven’t yet started the HS experience, believe this if you don’t believe anything else. HS baseball ain’t nuthin’ like any baseball you or your kid has been in before! It might be a better experience or a worse one, but its definitely gonna be different, and it takes a bit of gittin’ used to. :wink:

Awesome! Thank you for your input.

Really? So are you saying that you didn’t improve any skills because the other teams were weak?

Did it at least keep you loose and fresh as far as hitting and fielding or would you say that it would be better to rest and go into the spring season w/out practicing over fall and winter?

[quote=“dodgerfan3”]the last 3 out of 4 years ive played. but this year im playin travel which is pretty much fall ball since it starts in september and endes in november. its been great. like someone said its great to give ball players who dont play positions like 1st base or catcher or any other one a chance to learn. and you can play loose.

thuis sunday i got a game (9 innings). usually we play 2 gams (double headers 6 innings) but they usually get in 4-5 inning cuz of time[/quote]

That’s cool. I had no idea there were travel teams in the fall.

[quote=“scorekeeper”][quote=“baseball_hitting_tips”]I’m curious to see how many of you…

3. Watch fall baseball.

Thanks![/quote]

Well Steven, I sure don’t play or coach, but as an SK I do watch.

I’m assuming you mean the benefit to the players, but before I answer that, I have to tell you the benefit to me as the team’s SK.

I haven’t got a child on the team, so the only contact I have with these players and their parents is at HS baseball games. Every single year I have to re-learn some of the kids, and learn at least the new one’s to the V. I have to learn what they look like out in the field when I can’t see their number, so I’m always looking for body language cues, the color of a glove, the way they wear a hat, or some other goofy thing someone more familiar with them personally wouldn’t have to use. In the end, it helps get me ready for the “real” season that starts in the spring.

I have to grit my teeth about a lot of things in the fall that I won’t put up with in the spring. FI, I seldom see a lineup card for our team, let alone the opponents. Players move around positions a lot more, and its not at all unusual for a player to bat in more than 1 batting position in the lineup, or even to bat or run more than once in the same inning. But I realize those things and others like them aren’t being done just to make my job harder, so while I don’t necessarily “like” it, I don’t lose much sleep over it either.

As for what the players get out of it, I think it varies. Of course it’s a great time for getting reps, but I think its more important to get reps under that coach. New players really need to get used to his “moods” if you will, his “system”, what he expects, and for sure how he moves the pieces around the chessboard.

Its definitely a learning experience for parents now to the system too. In case there are some folks out there reading this who haven’t yet started the HS experience, believe this if you don’t believe anything else. HS baseball ain’t nuthin’ like any baseball you or your kid has been in before! It might be a better experience or a worse one, but its definitely gonna be different, and it takes a bit of gittin’ used to. ;)[/quote]

I see. So are you saying that high school coaches typically coach a fall team? I can see why it would be beneficial especially for Freshman players to get involved so learn the coach’s system and to acquire chemistry with the other players.

In my experience, HS fall ball is coached by the HS coaches, or at least the way practices are run, signals are given, and other basics are carried out are set up by the head coach. FI, our head coach volunteered to coach the girls golf team in the fall because no one else would do it. He showed up for about half the games, but he was there for most of the practices, and his asst coaches were there to run the team when he was gone.