Fall ball

Is it bad if you dont play fall ball? Is that time used for conditioning or what?

Also, whats up with colleges not emailing me back!

JR,

I don’t necessarily think it’s bad to skip Fall Ball…many guys have their hands full keeping up academically and can’t afford the time to play a lot in Fall. More people are probably watching your results in Spring and Summer ball, in my opinion.

Whether or not you play some Fall Ball, I think off-season conditioning is very important, especially at your stage of development. It’s hard, because all of the off-season training/conditioning that guys do is “hidden” from view. There’s nobody in the gym cheering you on as you do your weight routines for pitchers. Nobody is going to come out to the field to watch you run sprints and do prone-holds.

You only get delayed recognition for these activities because you do them religiously when no one is looking, and then show up in Spring in far better condition than everybody else.

I don’t have any idea why colleges are not responding to your e-mails. My recollection is, you set your sights on Miami and you didn’t really want to consider any other possibilities. Have things changed?

My school is Miami, im going there again in january to show them what i got. If they think I should go to a JUCO first then transfer I will do that. If any other 4year school offers, I will consider that. But really miami is the only school im reaching at.

May I ask why you’re not even thinking about other schools?

I am thinking of other schools. The schools I will be applying to are:
UM, Arizona State, CSU San Diego, CSU Long Beach, Santa Clara Univ, CSU Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara., Florida International University.

But at this point, i am convinced Miami is were i really want to go and play at.

JR, my advice is go to the school where you feel you will receive the best education, whether it be Miami, or any of the other schools you listed, or a juco. When you go to college to play baseball, baseball is only half the story. I am happy with my decision to attend an out of state D2 college instead of an in state juco like my brother where I was much more likely to be able to walk on a team, because even if I didn’t make the baseball team here, which I did, I know that I would still be getting what I consider to be a solid education and a good time. I am very happy that I can do both however.

Not to say to not try for Miami if you feel it provides both a great education and good opportunity to play baseball, and in the end it’s all your decision, best of luck.

Honestly, if I dont get a scholarship to play at a good academic/athletic 4 year college, I will go the JC route, which, I have a couple I can play for next year. But I am still uncommited

Hey Natalio,

Miami is a great choice, but obviously there are a very limited number of scholarships (~11.5) at every D-1, including the others you are applying to.

If D-1 doesn’t work out for you immediately, I hope you’re still at least thinking about CSM as a JUCO possibility…hands down, CSM is the best JUCO program in the SF Bay Area in two very important ways: (1) excellent academics/outstanding track record of placing their grads into high quality 4 year programs and (2) dominant baseball program.

Their players get scouted a lot, and Doug Williams is one of the most highly respected and connected coaches in the California JUCO system. They also have very, very good pitching coaches who can help you play to your potential.

If you are interested, check out the stories behind two of CSM’s grads from the past 5 - 6 years: RHP Scott Feldman (Texas Rangers) and outfielder Daniel Nava (Boston Red Sox).

Yeah most defiantly I will reach out to CSM, my buddy from the Ports, Doug, is a pitcher there right now. I’m gonna use the connection to the advantage If I can. CSM is a big JUCO I am looking at though

[quote=“JR.Navarro34”]I am thinking of other schools. The schools I will be applying to are:
UM, Arizona State, CSU San Diego, CSU Long Beach, Santa Clara Univ, CSU Fullerton, UC Santa Barbara., Florida International University.

But at this point, i am convinced Miami is were i really want to go and play at.[/quote]

All of these programs have very, very good baseball programs. JUCO + Transfer may be the best way to break into them if you’re absolutely committed to going to one of them.

There are lesser D-1 programs that you can go to where you’ll get a great education as well, as well as D-2 or below and NAIA. Education should come first, baseball second!

Kyle honestly, lol. I live to play baseball not work a 9-5 job, School isn’t really my thing, but I do understand that without schools theres not baseball. And thats why I do academics first. I do not see myself doing anything else but playing baseball. Honestly.

You wanna be working at McDonalds your whole life? You need to consider the education too. Baseball isn’t many people’s job, just the lucky hardworking ones.

Completely agreed.

You can play baseball anywhere, JR. If you are good enough to play professionally, it won’t matter (much) where you played your college ball.

I didn’t say anything about working at Mcdonnalds if baseball doesnt work out. I will get a college degree to get a regular job or something if baseball doesnt work out. But it will work out, and I aint gonna let anyone else tell me otherwise.